Sad

Travel discussion for St. John
cocosmom

Re: Sad

Post by cocosmom »

I still check in once in awhile. Never was one of the "cool kids" but that never matters to me on here or in life. Would love to see it pick up a bit! Often wonder what some of those frequent posters are doing for vacation!
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Drumbiker - Pia is definitely still around and always so helpful!

Marcia - your white shoes comment CRACKED me up being that I announced just this past weekend that I was boycotting the white after Labor Day BS being that it's late September and still in the 90's here. I wore white capri pants to brunch the other day and was nowhere near the only one wearing white.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
Drumbiker

Post by Drumbiker »

Excellent! The wife and I had a harrowing adventure coming down in'09 to say the least. As we were getting off the ferry I could hear "Drumbiker?.....Drumbiker?...." Made me feel so welcome! Met her at Maho one day with her in-laws, who happened to be in town. Unforgettable!
Counting down the minutes.....
augie

Post by augie »

No one comes here anymore, it's too crowded!
:evil:
Come see us!
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

augie wrote:No one comes here anymore, it's too crowded!
:evil:
"The food was horrible"

"And such small portions"
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

The water is cold and murky ! The views stink ! Let's see....what else can we find wrong to change peoples minds . :wink:

Sherry
" I believe there's Magic here...."
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

way too many people from New England that constantly visit and they are way annoying and all they do is complain about people from New York and New Jersey and the proper inflating pressure for footballs :twisted:
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

We go back a ways with St. John, having close friends who visited in the 70's and built here in the 80's; we, in turn, bought a lot on Mamie Peak back in 2001. I only discovered and joined VIOL late in 2011, though, after we bought our first villa, so am still a bit of the newbie in that regard. It has been a little sad to see the postings taper off of late, but I still check in quite regularly, and really enjoy the varied content that I find here. Tops among those would be the very talented underwater (and food) photography from members such as Pickles. I try to craft my own posts to provide content that other forum members will find useful (OK, with a subtle plug here and there), but my posting frequency has also declined lately, mostly because I have already covered many of the high points that I can address.

That said... I have been hard at work lately on a new angle that I think a lot of VIOL members will find both really cool and useful, and am probably a few weeks away from announcing it. So stay tuned!

All the best,

Kevin
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

:) I will be staying fine "tuned" for your surprise Coconuts ! And I enjoy reading all the great information you supply in your post !

Sherry in SC
StJohnbum

Post by StJohnbum »

Well this thread has been pretty much anything other than "SAD"! The proof is in the pudding folks, obviously a whole bunch of us still spend a great amount of time thinking about the rock and do so by checking in on this forum. Thanks for kicking this thread off and getting so many people to add so many varied opinions. I agree things had tapered off but this thread is giving off a positive vibe that a lot of us want to continue to post about our favorite spot on earth.

I will say I miss posts by B54. His trips reports nearly always had me rolling on the floor with laughter. I hope he checks in and adds his special twisted view of the state of affairs to this thread.

Best to all. Hope springs eternal that we will see an increase in activity on this site going forward.
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

I think I have been on this board (and its VIOL predecessor) for about 15 years. Yikes - where does the time go! I admit, when I go a few years between trips I don't check in as often. But once I get one booked (yeah for my new ticker!) I am more of a daily lurker. I do try and post trip reports though. Good to see so many familiar names in this post.
Paula

philbetm

Post by philbetm »

Well.... :( ....looking like it's going to be a cruise for our anniversary this month instead of the Island . Airfare from Charlotte has pushed us out this year. :roll: It hasn't stopped going up and up and up from there...no matter how far out or close in we try to book. When it hits $700 + per person it is hard to swallow. But we also had to pay $676 pp back in 2012 for 6 of us !!!! That really shot the bank account all to heck. :cry: When we were there last October for our 28th anniversary it was beautiful every day and clear skies at night. Watched shooting stars every night from the pool deck . Oh well ...on to dreaming for next year.

Sherry in SC
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

philbetm wrote:When it hits $700 + per person it is hard to swallow.
How on earth is it $700+ per person from Charlotte, when I pay around that or a little less flying from Grand Rapids with a stop in Charlotte??

Enjoy your cruise and anniversary - the rock will still be there for next time.

Kevin - looking forward to this new announcement, I will keep my eyes open for it!

I have not been as good at trip reports the last several trips as I have been in the past, I admit. That's not very fair of me, as I enjoy everyones elses so much. I pledge to do better on the next one. I still check in here quite regularly, but with business so crazy busy I don't seem to have the time to linger like I used to :-(
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

Michigan girls....I know ....crazy right ! :x Charlotte has always been the absolute highest $$$$ airport to fly out of....if we drive 3 hours to Atlanta we only save about $200 total . So that doesn't make it worth it after gas , food and a hotel room for the night before the flight ! Tom and I have been going to STJ for 15 years now and I can remember us flying USAir non-stop from CLT for $300 or so and that was a few years back ! Since 2012 we haven't been able to book for under $600 at least !!! Makes no sense ...I always get "special" emails for 250 up to 400 for flights leaving from the North....and we also ask HOWWWW !! :?
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

I check in probably 2 or 3 times daily.
Have also met some truly wonderful people.
Hoping to get back next May.
Smiles-
MJ