Sad

Travel discussion for St. John
philbetm

Sad

Post by philbetm »

I really miss seeing a lot of the people that used to post on here so much
when I joined some years back ! :( But I also enjoy reading the post of all those that do now ! :D The info and pics of all help to brighten the days between our visits. Will be posting some questions again soon . :wink:

Sherry in SC
(philbetm)
" I believe there's Magic here...."
RickG

Re: Sad

Post by RickG »

A lot of people still check in routinely. I try to have a look every day. St. John has grown up and there are more resources out there for newbies to look up via search and Tripadvisor. Facebook was probably the biggest impact. The old gang here is still about, just not here as much.

We spent a weekend with Jan&Mike this month and we're headed to spend Labor Day with Cat& Kenneth & Nothintolose (right?!). We see Capt. Jay and Mrs. Capt. Jay a lot since we own a boat together. A lot of the gang gets together on island around Halloween.

St. John has changed a lot in the last ten years during the forums heyday. People have different feelings about change, but change happens.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
kklay

Post by kklay »

Sherry, I agree with you. This forum used to be so vibrant with many contributors. I guess those of us who still visit and read just need to take the time to start posting!
Connie

Post by Connie »

I check in once a day, but I'm basically a newbie. Only 2nd time staying on STJ, but would take the ferry over from STT to the Beach Bar for get togethers.

We come back on November 1st. Is the get together on Maho still November 2nd?
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

Tom and I have been visiting STJ for the past 15 years . Your right Rick , things have changed . I think I have just gotten so old that I wish change would slow down....not gonna happen I know. :lol:

Your right kklay . I am just as guilty as anyone.... :( I log on everyday and sometimes twice a day just to see if there is anything new. This forum is still a great place for new ideas and knowledge no matter how many years we all visit.
I appreciate all of you very much !

Connie....the more you go the more it grows on you. Soooo much peace an contentment on that Island . As many have said before.... when it comes into sight you feel like you have come home. :)
" I believe there's Magic here...."
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Rick - that's the plan - woo hoo!

I have been checking alot lately but it had been a while. I am glad I am back though.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
Suziekue

Post by Suziekue »

I agree with you kklay, I to visit a couple times a day to check for anything new, I comment when it's appropriate. I've been visiting STJ for a long time and know the island fairly well, typically stay at the same villa, at least the last 3 times. I do look to the forum for advice when I need to and you all never disappoint. I understand the sad piece too, because I'm sometimes disappointed when there isn't anything new to read but I get really excited about a good trip report so I guess it goes both ways :D
Soarin' with the eagles all week long, and this is all that we've learned about living - VACATION!

Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Still hanging out...past 2 spring breaks were spent on different Islands( Tortola and Green Turtle Cay)...but now have 3 trips to the Rock in the next 6 months.

Still the best place in the world!

Dave/Bigcheeze
Beth Cruz

Post by Beth Cruz »

We still check in but agree the forum is not the same - neither is STJ .

Will be on island this fall. Yahoo!!
Bandit

Post by Bandit »

This old fart from way back is still around. I check in about twice a year. Being in the entertainment business makes it hard to have any kind of routine and then there are all these projects. Hey everyone!
loria

Post by loria »

whoa... Bandit!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

We still check in on a on a fairly regular basis. Looking for news and views of STJ. We do kind of miss how active this forum once was. Even the TA forum is a little less active with old timers than it was. Since we are on the homeowners board at our timeshare we look for questions that might connect our place to people who's requirements match what we have to offer as unobtrusively as possible and usually by PM.

We are in the DC area often because our grandchildren are there and have been meaning to drop by one of Rick G's places when time permits. Rick are you still involved with the Mad Fox?
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

As one of the newer old-timers (i.e. post-AOL) I also miss the lunch time read volume of the bygone days. Couple weeks ago when I was bored, I reviewed the history of my old posts and bumps some of those up for reread. Maybe others can do the same. Bill your right volumes are down everywhere and most of the trip reports are now on Facebook.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

The glass is half full! Look at all of you who read and responded to this -
I know it is not the same, but we're still here - which is pretty cool. I started this website in... 1995!!! 21 years old this fall - who would have ever imagined that?!?!?

(Although sometimes I wish my hosting fees all went into a piggy bank instead but that's another story :)

As always - I thank all of you for coming, staying, and making this place what it is (and was).
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
papabou

Post by papabou »

unless i'm away from my computer i'll check site daily to see what's happening. most of time i'm disappointed in the lack of posts and interaction of members old and new. not sure when i joined, but before the new start date. probably shortly after started coming to stj in 2004.

i initially started checking here and on viol for info about the island and got a lot of help that really made first few trips more enjoyable. got some experience under my belt so started posting replies and occasional trip report? that i thought might help some poor sole or at least offer entertainment. this board offered lots of entertainment as well as island info. seems like constant strings that justified checkins many times a day to catch the latest info and foolishness.

well i've gotten old and lost all my travel companions. though wife didn't leave me she just said takes to long to get to stj and she fears for her life everytime she rode shotgun on the wrong side of the road. was able to get her back last october with 1 of our daughters and both granddaughters (return trips for all) by staying at grande bay. the wife did ride in back seat of 4 door jeep from airport to redhook and from barge landing to grande bay. then she did reverse on way home. she had fun at grande bay and me and my girls (and minde part time) had a blast.

i'm trying to get back, maybe in november if wife has no complications in her cancer battle. so i'm reading more often and looking for any chatter from the oldtimers. seems to be a few more coming out again.

i've given a lot of thought as to what it might take to get things going again and i believe i have the answer. can't remember whether it was bluto or otter who thought of it orginally WE ALL NEED A ROAD TRIP and naturally the destination must be stj.

good evening and happy dreams.

papabou