BVI boat charter news

Travel discussion for St. John
Exit Zero

BVI boat charter news

Post by Exit Zero »

Effective yesterday all visitors by sea to the BVI must now present themselves In Person at Customs and Immigration. Since the same requirement is enforced in STJ on return this should be no big surprise - it will however cut way into your time on charter, especially on the bigger multi-passenger vessels.
Many vessels cannot even approach the dock and stay there while everyone gets off and proceeds to C&I so it will require multiple dinghy loads for them, and leave the charter vessel unattended.
No more lounging about eating and drinking while the Captain goes off to C&I which was a big part of the morning on almost every boat.
Especially the vessels who proceed to White Bay on a day trip will be affected when previously only 1 crew member would go by dinghy with all the passports to clear in at C&I while the vessel anchored in White Bay.
Should be interesting, time consuming and a huge hassle in some cases.
Read the press release here:
http://www.virginislandsnewsonline.com/ ... protect-vi

remember this is a BVI press release so when they refer to the 'VI' they are referring to their islands,BVI.
Anthony
Site Admin

Re: BVI boat charter news

Post by Anthony »

Wow that is a bummer - and a hassle. Funny when I was there in the spring for a wedding I was thinking how silly it all seemed (when going in that direction) - you would think they would ease the process and let commerce flow... not make it harder.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Is this the case if no one is coming ashore? For example, snorkeling at the Caves or the Baths and just getting on and off the boat to snorkel.

Thanks for the info!
Pia

Post by Pia »

Yes it will apply - you MUST clear customs once you pass into International waters before you proceed anywhere (you always had to just not in person only the captain or crew member with your passports) you never could just go to the Baths (or anywhere) to just snorkel until you cleared.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Thank you Pia and Exit for the information! Good to know. Hopefully I'll need to worry about that someday soon. :)
RickG

Post by RickG »

Its not clear how this will be administered. We've seen the BVI back off on other anti-visit rules like Port Authority fees. Lets see how implementation goes.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Pia wrote:Yes it will apply - you MUST clear customs once you pass into International waters before you proceed anywhere (you always had to just not in person only the captain or crew member with your passports) you never could just go to the Baths (or anywhere) to just snorkel until you cleared.

Pia
Ha, this vindicates me on an argument I had with my group about one of our sailing charters. I booked a US waters only charter because some in my group had no passports, but the boat spent most of the day sailing around in the BVIs. I was not able to relax because I was certain we were going to get pulled over by the water police or something. Everyone else in my group thought I was being nutso :lol:
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Sailing in BVI waters is different than Stopping in BVI waters -- the 1st stop must be to clear C&I - for example sailing up Drakes Passage to circumnavigate STJ you will be in BVI waters along the way tacking upwind - you do not have to stop in West End and tell them you are doing that.
mdcoles1

Post by mdcoles1 »

Hoping someone on a group charter can tell me how this actually went...be there in 2 weeks and was hoping to take Cruz Bay Watersports to Baths for 1st time...

now rethinking ferry option, as you had to individually declare anyway.
RickG

Post by RickG »

mdcoles1 wrote:Hoping someone on a group charter can tell me how this actually went...be there in 2 weeks and was hoping to take Cruz Bay Watersports to Baths for 1st time...

now rethinking ferry option, as you had to individually declare anyway.
Give them a call and let us know what they say! In the past they have docked at Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor and the captain has walked over to C&I. They let us hit the shops during check in. One change at the marina this year, there is no longer a path through the field as this has been turned into boat storage and there is a new fence and boat lift there.

Cheers, RickG
mdcoles1

Post by mdcoles1 »

went to the Baths with Cruz Bay Watersports on 9.30 . We walked through customs without stopping.:) the captian stayed behind with our passports and took care of everything as he was waiting with the boat. he said it varies from day to day on how they handle things.
RickG

Post by RickG »

A charter Captain we know well had the following to say regarding a check in on 9/22:

"I was single handing a cat last Thursday and intended to grab one of the perhaps 40 open mooring balls but decided to pull up to the dock instead. There was no wind and no ferries in sight at about 11am. I spoke with the officials about any policy changes. The friendly officer pointed to the wall and said nothing would change until he got a memo and that memo would be on the wall. So until you hear of first hand experiences to the contrary, I wouldn't spend much time focusing on something that hasn't been implemented yet. I was also told that no matter what the memo said, it would all be based on officer discretion. My suggestion would be to slooow down, say hello, inquire as to the officers day with a friendly smile and you will likely breeze on thru."

Regardless, crew/guests either stay on the boat or with the Captain until everyone is checked in at C&I or C&I provides further direction.

The area for check in at West End is tiny with room for maybe four people. JVD is not much bigger. It is not likely that the C&I staff will require presentation of crew/guests for all boats. As always, you need to be respectful, polite and patient or you will get the slow treatment with lots of teeth sucking.

We're down on 10/25 and will be checking into JVD on 10/28. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers, RickG