Canada Stays

Travel discussion for St. John
ncsusan

Canada Stays

Post by ncsusan »

Looking to book a villa for late February. The agent representing the villa is a Canadian Company called Canada Stays. Has anyone else used this company to book their villa?

Makes me nervous to book a villa in the USVI using a Canadian Company. Their website seems legit but I have heard some bad stories about people losing their money and villa.
HughA

Re: Canada Stays

Post by HughA »

Never heard of them. I personally would never use anyone that did not have a significant on island presence and reputation. There are several well known and respected rental companies on St. John.
loria

Post by loria »

I would heed what HughA said --
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

I third the reply from HughA ......be careful ! Lot's of great companies on Island to rent through. If you have even the tiniest feeling in your gut ...listen too it !!

Sherry in S.C.
" I believe there's Magic here...."
ncsusan

Post by ncsusan »

I contacted VRBO regarding the property and this was their reply:

"I left you a voicemail just now -- feel free to call back at your convenience to discuss. The other listing you see from "Canada Stays" is a major listing site (in fact they are partnered with VRBO), but I'm not sure if they have authorization to market this property -- the calendars are totally incorrect and as well the rates!!"

There was another listing for the same house that had a different calendar and prices that I believe was the "real" owners listing. I will be sticking with local rental companies.

Thanks for all of the feedback!!
loria

Post by loria »

NCSUE-- i sent you a PM--
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
HughA

Post by HughA »

By the way, what was the name of the house?
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

always use a local co.
ncsusan

Post by ncsusan »

The house was Great Turtle Villa. There were two listings, one was the real rental company and the other was Canada Stays' ad.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Book through a local company - there are many - if the price is different or "too good to be true" is is

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
ncsusan

Post by ncsusan »

This turned into a bigger story than I originally thought. Turned out there were two "fake" listings on VRBO for the same property. Neither was authorized to rent for the owner who has their own listing on VRBO. I spoke with the owner's manager, who is on-island yesterday. They have been trying to have VRBO remove the fake listings but have been told that they can't. I contacted VRBO and was told the same thing. However a supervisor told me they would look into it but i am not sure if anything will come of it.

Be very careful if you use VRBO you may arrive on St John without a place to stay!
loria

Post by loria »

always best to contact the property owner if you can find them -- if you find a property you like on VRBO -- google the name-- read the description CAREFULLY (usually there is a link to their website or FB page) -- if the calendar is super empty -- or there are NO reviews -- then proceed with caution (however, if it is a new property -- then that might be the case --) VRBO has changed their business model a fair bit and is making transparency and access to owners/legit managers much more tricky -- and with the advent of these fraudulent listings - it's just putting a very bad taste in everyone's mouth-- The fact that they claim they cannot take down a listing is astonishing to me (and the fact that if you search, for example , Coral bay -- you come up with listings for the Ritz in St Thomas and villas in Tortola.... well.... just proceed with caution ....)