Decision Decision

Travel discussion for St. John
jaybfloyd

Re: Decision Decision

Post by jaybfloyd »

Appreciate it stewdog! We're trying to do 2 vehicles with 8 adults. Are Wranglers necessary or is a SUV acceptable? Guess it would need to be 4wd preferably.
stewdog11

Post by stewdog11 »

would def go with 4wd vehicles. You will be in perfect shape for the turn-around area at the villa if your only going to rent two vehicles.

Jay i could talk about that place for ever, if you have any other questions about island stones let me know. You really want for nothing while there, they really take care of you. I can't wait to get a large enough group together to get back there.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

jaybfloyd wrote:Appreciate it stewdog! We're trying to do 2 vehicles with 8 adults. Are Wranglers necessary or is a SUV acceptable? Guess it would need to be 4wd preferably.
4-door Wranglers are good sized and can easily fit 4 adults. I would absolutely not recommend a 2-door Wrangler for four adults.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
jaybfloyd

Post by jaybfloyd »

Thanks Teresa. Yeah, I wasn't planning on the 2DR Wranglers. We are trying to fit 8 adults with luggage in 2 (4DR) Wranglers. All the guys are taking carry ons but the women are checking so we're not sure if we need an Explorer or larger SUV in addition to 1 Wrangler.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

jaybfloyd wrote:Thanks Teresa. Yeah, I wasn't planning on the 2DR Wranglers. We are trying to fit 8 adults with luggage in 2 (4DR) Wranglers. All the guys are taking carry ons but the women are checking so we're not sure if we need an Explorer or larger SUV in addition to 1 Wrangler.
This is what we fit into a 4-door Wrangler:
- 2 car seats, installed
- 48 can Polar Bear Cooler (checked size)
- one large checked bag
- 4 carry on rolling suitcases
- 3 backpacks

We've fit all of that, minus 2 carry on rolling suitcases but plus a Pack N Play in one of the smaller SUVs (way less cargo space in the back than a Wrangler).
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

When we stayed at Hakuna Matata, and for several times after, we had a 4WD Ford Escape, and it was fine. When they came out with the 4 Door Wrangler we started renting that. I will say one thing about the 4 Door Wrangler, there is not alot in the back seat to hold on to when you are hitting the bumps if I remember correctly other than the door handle and the head rest in front of you or beside you. Sometimes I tried to hold on to the bar across the back but it's thicker. Even in the front on the passenger side, you can hold on to the handle above the glove compartment or try to on the roll bar but the top gets in the way a bit. I have seriously contemplated buying a pair of Rollbar Grab Handles for all future trips :)

You can fit alot in the 4 Door Jeep in the way back. I wouldn't get an Explorer just for the two times you will have luggage in there. We fit four adults and all checked luggage in ours all of the time.

John Head Road is not steep at all in my opinion, just bumpy and only the bottom part now.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
jaybfloyd

Post by jaybfloyd »

Thanks for the help! Wranglers it is.