Pic's Pics & Report - August 2016

Travel discussion for St. John
loria

Re: Pic's Pics & Report - August 2016

Post by loria »

i always love your reports and pictures -- thanks so much for sharing!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
JenG

Post by JenG »

Thank you so much for posting your trip report and pictures! I'm bringing newbies on our next trip in May 2017 and I can't wait to show them your report! I always look forward to your reports and this one is <as usual!> amazing!! :D
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Your fabulous reports have been such an inspiration for me, to linger longer and look more closely. I'm only beginning to find the little things, or the hidden things, but I credit this forum and the wonderful shared pics for that! Thanks so much!!!
peacenjoy

Post by peacenjoy »

Your photos are just amazing. Thank you so much for taking the time to put a trip report together and share.
Life is good .....
CBama

Post by CBama »

Thanks for the wonderful trip report!! I haven't been reading on the forum for a while....but I always have to come back for my St John fix.

Is the weather much different between June and August? We preferred the Coral Bay side also. It seemed warm to us in Cruz Bay on our June trip. Are there still breezes in August? I would love to plan a trip next summer, and first or second week in August works out the best.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

CBama wrote:Is the weather much different between June and August? We preferred the Coral Bay side also. It seemed warm to us in Cruz Bay on our June trip. Are there still breezes in August? I would love to plan a trip next summer, and first or second week in August works out the best.
To us regular June visitors, August doesn't feel a lot or uncomfortably hotter. It's a little hotter but, if you do fine in June, I imagine you will be okay in August. We've had typical "shower here and there" weather and it has always been nice in August - except when a tropical storm passed near St. John on one trip.

It feels like we get a little more breeze in June but I'm not sure if that's accurate. Unlike our June trips, we've always stayed on the Cruz Bay side in August and the locations we've stayed don't seem to be as breezy as some other areas. We felt the effect of the hot afternoon sun more when staying on the Cruz Bay side (depending on the directions that the properties are facing) and it has felt hotter to us in Cruz Bay than Coral Bay.

If we can make one trip to St. John next off-season, we might consider going around August despite the higher threat of storms. We love the warm August water and that we can snorkel longer.
CBama

Post by CBama »

Thanks for the reply!

We noticed it was much "breezier' on the Coral Bay side which we enjoyed. The water temps were perfect to us in June. We snorkeled as long as we wanted.

But it is all relative...our vacation this year was on the Alabama coast and close to 100 degress with high humidity!

there isn't a bad time to visit St John...in my opinion... just wish we could visit more often.