Transportation from Airport to Red Hook

Travel discussion for St. John
jdjcmaso

Transportation from Airport to Red Hook

Post by jdjcmaso »

Hello All,

I'm trying to remember the name of the woman who picked us up at the airport, She was recommended by many on this board. I also need her phone number.

Thank you!
Joe
Joe
happycanesfan

Re: Transportation from Airport to Red Hook

Post by happycanesfan »

Would that be Rachel?...340-771-2986.
jdjcmaso

Post by jdjcmaso »

YES!! RACHEL!! Thank you happycanesfan!
Joe
kmf4107

Post by kmf4107 »

We had also heard great things about using Rachel from STT to Red Hook and provided friends with her # who were flying in and wanted to avoid the loaded van with stops to Red Hook. Unfortunately when they arrived at the airport with just carry on Rachel wasn't at the airport yet and when another gentleman arrived 10 min later indicating Rachel was on another transport, and that another couple would be sharing the ride with them and that they were waiting for luggage. The sole reason I recommended Rachel was that my understanding was that you were hiring a private ride directly to Red Hook? As it worked out they would have arrived at Red Hook earlier just waiting in the van line. The same couple utilized the service after returning from a Moorings charter and stay on STJ and were again surprised to find they again were sharing their ride back to STT with 2 other couples. Both times they were charged the private ride rate? not sure if this is an anomaly or a sign of things to come?

Kevin F
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I have always booked my private taxi to Red Hook via Chris Taxi:

http://www.christaxiandlimoservice.com/

They have reasonable rates, polite drivers, and comfortable vehicles. We have never had to share a ride with anyone else.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

USVI guy - spamming isn't allowed here (either!).
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Also, USVI, private taxi isn't NECESSARY for transport to or from the airport. It's a luxury. Many people opt to forgo that luxury for other vacation luxuries, and get by absolutely fine - I am one of them. The one time that I did hire a private taxi (for a couple who was arriving for their first time, who I feared would be really disoriented because they travel very little), the driver dropped them off at a grocery store, then left to run an errand without telling them. When the couple exited the grocery store, the taxi wasn't there, and they were really panicked.
Thus, the one time I did utilize a private taxi, the results were dismal.
YMMV.
Private taxi is not necessary, though it may be nice.
Connie

Post by Connie »

We used Rachael this pass June. She was there waiting for us, but we got another driver. We know STT pretty well and we wondering why she took the route she took. It was crazy and we were looking at each other wondering why we were up on the North side of STT. It took FOREVER to get to Redhook. By the way, there were no ships in port and there is another way to go to Redhook.

After leaving STJ, we had also booked her. 2 other couples got into the van. We were fine with that. No problem.

We don't know what we're going to do this time, but spending that kind of service just isn't worth it to us.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
mdcoles1

Post by mdcoles1 »

used Rachael just this past week...she had had texted us and asked if it was ok if we shared with another couple on the same flight. They ended up taking a different ferry. She does tag with other drivers if she is overbooked, but again, has always lets us know via text and asks it ok.

I find it is a joy to ease into a comfortable cool leather seat and know there will not be others crowded in and then we have to make multiple stops. Rachael does vary her route to try and avoid traffic from schools, work, ships etc. She usually explains that when we are with her. She also calls ahead to her porter connections to find out if there is a line and if you need to use a porter on the return trip.

It is a splurge, but one that adds to the relaxation factor imho.
Kevino

Post by Kevino »

liamsaunt wrote:I have always booked my private taxi to Red Hook via Chris Taxi:

http://www.christaxiandlimoservice.com/

They have reasonable rates, polite drivers, and comfortable vehicles. We have never had to share a ride with anyone else.
Thank you, for Chris Taxi info. Rachel is a lovely lady and it's good to have Chris info. His rates seem very reasonable and everyone going to same destination.