8:10AM flight out of STT

Travel discussion for St. John
SuefromMA

8:10AM flight out of STT

Post by SuefromMA »

Hi, everyone!
We will be staying on St. John for 10 nights.
Is the ONLY way to make an 8:10AM flight on a Sunday in May by getting a hotel room on STT the night before??
I "know" that the first ferry from Cruz Bay to Red Hook doesn't leave until 6:00.
Thank you,
Sue
RickG

Re: 8:10AM flight out of STT

Post by RickG »

We would stay on St. Thomas the night before or take a later flight. It is a crazed stressful rush to try and get to the airport from STJ that early. It makes for a much better end to the vacation to not have to rush. I've done the 8AM AA flight many times and the airport does not open until 6AM.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
kklay

Post by kklay »

You might be able to get a private water taxi. I would be too stressed - in my opinion you need to stay the last night on St. Thomas. As previous poster said, much calmer way to end your trip.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Sue,
what kind of pricing are you seeing. Last time I looked for the end of May it was around $450. Unfortunately, I'm seeing round-trip air to Paris at $760, which is really tempting me instead of St. John in May as the kids say they will go to Norwegian airlines doing roundtrips on selected days (Thursdays and Sundays only) from Boston to Martinique $199

http://www.norwegian.com/us/booking/fli ... ssid=24201
Last edited by shoemak38 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Thank you, all.
Actually prices are good. But, stupid Jet Blue, which we prefer to fly - have a nice flight 8:10AM to 3:45PM STT to BOS. OR 4:15PM to 12:19AM. Lousy choices. Delta has a decent flight 1:30PM to 10:26PM. Again, all prices are good now. Just need to decide whether or not to head to STT a day early, dependent upon whether we can get out of our current villa rental a day early with no or minimal cost. If not, we just have to take that late Jet Blue flight or leave Jet Blue for Delta this trip. No biggie.
We stayed at Emerald Beach a long time ago and know that we wouldn't mind staying there a night, again.
I agree - even if water taxi could get us over there. We would need to be on STT for an early morning flight.
Thanks, all!!
RickG

Post by RickG »

You could always fly Jet Blue down and Delta back. I don't see any cost difference between round trip and one-way these days.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

FWIW, yesterday we brought a friend down to Cruz Bay to catch the 6 AM ferry; he had an 8:30 AM Jet Blue flight out of St. Thomas. We knew it would be tight, but early on Sunday morning the St. Thomas traffic is very light, and there were only a few other air travelers queuing for the ferry. We became a bit alarmed when the ferry dock gates were still locked at the nominal departure time; it turns out that ferry service is provided by two operators, Varlack Ventures and Transportation Services, and they each do two weeks at a time. TS has no captain on St. John; he normally comes on the 5:30 AM from Red Hook, but for whatever reason he was a no-show this Sunday. Fortunately, a VV mechanic was on his way to service one of the new ferries; he is also a captain, and agreed to captain the 6 AM ferry. They hurriedly boarded the passengers at 6:10 AM, and my friend was on his way. I asked him to text me when he reached his gate, and he did so at 7:31 AM. So in principle, that could let you make an 8:10 AM flight, but that would definitely be cutting it close, and a Sunday in May isn't the same as a Sunday in late September.

Best Western Emerald Beach?

All the best,

Kevin
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Thank you for your comments. Even though we could get out of our rental a day earlier, I am pretty confident that doing the pros and cons that we would rather spend our last moments on St. John and not STT.
So, most likely will go for either the LATE Jet Blue or the early afternoon Delta. I am just a Jet Blue snob and really like their airline and little TV's and such.... We'll figure it out. Just rots that they have such limited flight options after May starts.....
Oh, well.....
Hi, Rick and Kevin (my fellow New Englander)!! Nice to hear from you both!
loria

Post by loria »

yo uwill be fine -- the airport doesn't even have gates open until 7 ! (or last i checked)
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>