Dining

Travel discussion for St. John
jdjcmaso

Dining

Post by jdjcmaso »

We havent been to STJ in 3 years, so I am looking for recommendations for Dinners in Cruz Bay area. Would love to hear from you regarding your recent experiences.
Thanks!!
Joe
Joe
kklay

Re: Dining

Post by kklay »

We really enjoy Cruz Bay Landing, Roma's and Banana Deck. On vacation we typically are not into eating a big meal every night and typically are good with some nice appetizers. What type of dining are you looking for?
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Joe,

For the past two years we have really enjoyed Cruz Bay Landing. High Tide has good appetizers. The new Mexican restaurant in Mongoose (where Paradiso was) is good.Have not been but people have good things to say about the restaurant in Wharfside, not sure of the name but it has Mare in it. It's upstairs.
Hope you and Darlene have a wonderful vacation. Sorry we won't see you this year.
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Not sure if you are looking for more casual or finer dining? For fine dining, our 2 favorites are Zozo's and Extra Virgin. Since you have visited last, Zozo's has moved from Gallows Point to Caneel Bay - all the great things you might remember about Zozo's but even better at the Sugar Mill! Also, Extra Virgin opened almost a year ago at the previous Fatty Crab location. Very good food in our opinion.
Also new in the past year or 2... for more local flair, try DeCoal Pot (same side as / close to Lime Inn) for lunch or dinner. If you are looking for something different for lunch, try Little Olive - a Greek food truck (out towards the car barge). Also, North Shore Deli has replaced Deli Grotto - we still enjoy it to grab lunch for the beach (although some liked Deli Grotto better).
Image[/url]
jdjcmaso

Post by jdjcmaso »

Thank you all for the replies so far and I look forward to more...

What type of dining are you looking for?
We like a mix of fine dining, casual dining and also BBQ or something casual.

In the past we have enjoyed Zozo's, Tage(long gone), Lime Inn, Morgans Mango, Uncle Joe's BBQ, etc.
Joe
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

On our trip this year, we enjoyed several places in Cruz Bay:

Lime Inn - yummy grilled lobster, friendly service

Sogos - West Indian food, hubby loves their curried goat, super nice owners; we call ahead and order carryout so we can eat on our deck with a wonderful view (villa on Gifft Hill so its short drive back up from town)

Beach bar - Tried this for the first time and loved it. Fresh and delicious food, especially the fish and salads.

De Coal Pot - West Indian food; pricier than Sogos and delicious; call ahead to make sure they are open; there was confusion about their hours

Have a great trip!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

If you haven't ever tried Candi's Ribs, you really should. Her place is on the left, right before you get to Starfish Market. Her cole slaw is my favorite, as well. Take out, or eat in. We call from the car barge - our traditional first night dinner.
If you like West Indian food, Etta's, on the second floor of the Marketplace, is great. They close before dinnertime, so this would need to be takeout.
You'll be glad to know that NorthShore Deli (formerly Deli Grotto) still has crack bars ;) Well, I was glad to know! :lol:
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Probably my favorite "in-town" restaurant is La Tapa - get lots of small plates and share - super yummy! Also, I love love love The Longboard.