Vieques was especially clear this evening

Travel discussion for St. John
Coconuts

Vieques was especially clear this evening

Post by Coconuts »

Good Day all. We got down a week ago, and while we have had a touch of Sahara dust here and there, the overall weather and distance views have been really great. This evening, we had a wonderful combo of exceptional atmospheric clarity and just the right sunset light and clouds to make Vieques, 45 miles away, really pop. Here's a photo of Vieques from the porch of Plumeria:
Vieques from Plumeria
Vieques from Plumeria
To the right of Vieques, you can also make out some distant hills in Puerto Rico. I am rushing a bit, and haven't taken the time to perfectly level the horizon.

We then headed over to Coconuts to check the view there, and captured a nice photo of the sunset:
Sunset from Coconuts
Sunset from Coconuts
In the following zoom, the southern slope of El Toro is visible, just above the island of Culebra. Its summit is shrouded in clouds, and the foreground island is St. Thomas. El Toro is in Puerto Rico's El Yunque tropical rainforest, and is 65 miles away from Gifft Hill. On the horizon to the left, Sail Rock pokes up above the water.
El Toro and Culebra
El Toro and Culebra
The next photo was taken during early twilight, with the lights of St. Thomas twinkling across Pillsbury Sound. Venus is visible above the clouds left of center, and is really bright in the evening sky after sunset. Look for it where you are; Venus is visible throughout the US, and will only get brighter as we head into the winter months. I didn't have time to fish through storage for my tripod, so this is a slightly shaky hand-held shot; witness Arcturus in the upper right. Got to lay off the sauce...
After sunset
After sunset
Finally, we have been here during the sunny hours. Here's a photo of the customs house on Whistling Cay, having gone ashore mid-way through an overly ambitious paddle board trip from Maho Bay beach. I have sailed there often enough to know that the trades really get focused in that low spot between Mary and Maho Points, but I did eventually make it back into the calm lee of Maho Point.
Old Customs House exterior
Old Customs House exterior
Enjoy!

All the best,

Kevin
Last edited by Coconuts on Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabou

Re: Vieques was especially clear this evening

Post by papabou »

great pics kevin, thanks for sharing. i've always loved the gifft hill views and the open caribbean feel of the gh villas (though i favor straight layout of cloud 9). i'm amazed at how good some folks are with cameras, like the real thing! thanks again for the marvelous job you have done with upgrading and sharing coconuts and plumeria. hope to stay in one some day.

papabou
Suziekue

Post by Suziekue »

Kevin, your photos are excellent, thank you so much for sharing and explaining the detail. I'm in awe, I've never seen Venus before. Incredible views!
Soarin' with the eagles all week long, and this is all that we've learned about living - VACATION!

kklay

Post by kklay »

Beautiful pictures! I appreciate your discriptions.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Wow! Thanks, Kevin! I love the explanations, too!
RickG

Post by RickG »

Fun shots, puts it all in perspective. We hope to make the short hop to Culebra after Halloween on STJ. Not so far!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
ShaSha

Post by ShaSha »

Thank-You for the amazing pictures and for sharing with us!!! Just love them!