I'm Baaack - and need your help!

Travel discussion for St. John
DuxDweller

I'm Baaack - and need your help!

Post by DuxDweller »

Wow - it has been a good 6 years since I've been on this forum. Economics of life have prevented me from looking - because thinking about the island - and the fact that I couldn't go just made me depressed! Had a stretch of going down, staying at Maho for a week and then a week in a villa every year. Looks like I have a small window now to try and squeeze in a visit. Christmas Week :oops:

Weighing out whether it is possible to find a place near Cruz Bay to accommodate 6 of us (two adults and 4 mostly adult kids). As I said, we used to stay at Maho Bay and loved it - but I am really struggling with going out to Concordia. My boys are 20/19 now and I know they would want to be in Cruz Bay at night. That drive to the Coral Bay side is NOT something I want them doing at night . . .

So - any thoughts on a place that could work that wouldn't drive me to Bankruptcy? Like $5k-6K? 12/25-1/1? Or do you think I'm off on Concordia? Just take taxis?
Teresa_Rae

Re: I'm Baaack - and need your help!

Post by Teresa_Rae »

A taxi to Cruz Bay from Concordia and back would cost a small fortune, and that is if you could even find taxi drivers to make the trip, which is pretty unlikely.

How many bedrooms do you need, total?

Is the trip for this year? If so, finding a rental vehicle could be a challenge since it's only a couple months from now and it's one of the busiest times of the year. Are you getting one rental vehicle or two? If you want just one, you'll need a large vehicle with 3rd row seating; some rental companies have them, but the availability is limited.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
DuxDweller

Post by DuxDweller »

Hi Teresa,

Yeah - I'm out of practice with this! I need 3 bedrooms - two could have doubles - but one would need twins (or be able to convert to twins). Sounds like staying in or really close to Cruz is going to be critical. I've never relied on taxis on the island at all.

And yes - a rental car. I've rented the third row vehicles and also those trucks with seats in the back in the past. I should get on that . . . .
kklay

Post by kklay »

It appears there are a couple on VRBO - Palmy Daze and Far Horizons. I'd check with some of the mangement companies to see what is available.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Dux,

During our first visit we stayed at Blue Haven Rendezvous. It has three bedrooms and I think one has twin beds. It is not as expensive as most and fairly close to Cruz Bay. We loved it. It was me and my four kids. Not adult kids but still four kids.
DuxDweller

Post by DuxDweller »

Has anyone stayed at Moonsong? Might fit the bill. Hoosier - Blue Heaven would be perfect - but unfortunately its showing booked that week! (2016 12/25-1/1)
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Have you looked into Coconut Coast? They do have 3 BR suites. You can walk to town from that location.
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

You might also take a look at Inn Paradise. It is all the way at the top of Rock Ridge Rd on Chocolate Hole. We toured it this summer for housing some of our wedding guests.spacious deck, simply furnished, beautiful views, very breezy! Very reasonably priced through Carefree Getaways. Paradise Revisited would be another modest choice. We toured that one too.
We would have rented either one but by some miracle, the villa next door to the wedding house became available so we grabbed it.
DuxDweller

Post by DuxDweller »

Thanks for those suggestions Knolmom! Unfortunately all of them are booked!! I am seeing Far Horizons listed on VRBO under that name. . . Just can't seem to get a recent review
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I see they have a FB page, with some reviews and comments. https://www.facebook.com/Far-Horizons-533503770023240/