Finally returning!

Travel discussion for St. John
canucknyc

Finally returning!

Post by canucknyc »

After a loooooong 5 year break, we're finally returning to STJ for our 10th anniversary next May! WAHOOOOOOOOO! We were married there so only fitting to return for a celebration!

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions since I've been out of the loop for so long, but for now just one: we will need to spend one night in STT before heading over (since we can't find any place to stay on STJ for one night). Any suggestions or advice? At this point there will be 4 of us, so we'll need 2 rooms, either as a part of a suite or just in the same hotel. Looking to keep costs down, so nothing fancy. Is under $200 USD/room a reasonable goal? Under $150?

Thanks!
Wanda Creech

Re: Finally returning!

Post by Wanda Creech »

Have you checked Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel in Cruz Bay? They rent for one night unless things have changed since we stayed a couple of years ago. Very nice.
Beach Creecher
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

Wanda Creech wrote:Have you checked Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel in Cruz Bay? They rent for one night unless things have changed since we stayed a couple of years ago. Very nice.
Yes, the website says 2 night minimum. Sadly.
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Were I you I would stay at the Emerald Beach at the airport. I believe they do one night. Speaking of the Emerald Beach Hotel, that is where Amalie Car Rental is located. They come highly recommended for jeep rentals. Many people now feel more than comfortable renting their jeep on St Thomas and taking the car barge. We have done it with no problems for our last two trips and will do it again next week. Amalie offers service on St John if you have any problems and you can pick up and drop off at any time. Emerald Beach is a decent place right on Lindberg Bay with a beachside pool, just fine as a one- night- stand!
Splasher54

Post by Splasher54 »

We booked one night at Concordia. It's a beautiful location and we were thrilled to be able to book one night.
(Message Boards code, FertilityFriend.com's boards, phpBB based Image
gmanka

Post by gmanka »

Having done this many times, I have my 2 go-to places that fit the budget. Island VIew Guest House and the Green Iguana. GI is a short walk to the shopping in downtown and Island View has a great view and on-site restaurant with an honor bar. Nothing fancy but great hosts and both fit the bill. Ditto the recommendation on Amalie car rentals.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I also recommend Amalie - the ladies are just SO great in every way!
I like Bunker Hill Hotel in Charlotte Amalie. You can't beat the rates. It's a small, family-owned hotel built into an old, old building. It's not fancy, but clean, with a small pool, includes breakfast, and is walking distance to the waterfront shopping areas.
Oh, and there's a restaurant on-site. I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but the owner/cook/server is Alafia, and she is such a doll. Food is REALLY good.
StJohnbum

Post by StJohnbum »

I checked Expedia and they show you can book Caneel Bay for 1 night in May. While we think the rooms are over priced, we've stayed there twice, the beaches are wonderful. For a 10th anniversary it may be worth the price just for the experience.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Emerald Beach is a fav of ours too. We usually do it on the last night so we have a day to relax(more) before a full day of traveling and getting off STJ and such.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Sorry I am no help with places to stay on St. Thomas but we were in a similar situation once. We had booked a Spring Break trip late. We didn't have a place to stay for our last night. We had purchased our airline tickets and had the rest of our nights covered but not the last night. We looked into staying on St. Thomas but I decided to make some calls to some places that had minimum stays but according to their websites they had no one staying on the night we needed. We were actually able to stay our last night in Grand Bay. My suggestion is if you would rather stay in St. John look for openings and make some calls.
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

I like the idea of Emerald Beach if you are renting from Amalie because you can pick up the car there and you have no cab fare back and forth. Just pick up the car right there the next morning , load your bags, and you're off!
watergirl

Post by watergirl »

Our go to place in STT is the Galleon House, located next to Bunker Hill. The rates are very reasonable (about $160 for their deluxe room, about $100 for their cheapest rooms) and it includes a nice breakfast.
You can walk over to Bunker Hill for their dinner. Only downside is that you need to climb up several sets of stairs to get to the main floor. Tiring the first time you do it but it's amazing how fast you get used to it.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

We have stayed at Emerald Beach several times and love it, but I think it is over your price range. We have also stayed at Windward Passage and Hotel Mafolie neither of which we prefer to stay at anymore. Mafolie was just ok. It did have a nice pool with an awesome view, but we like being right by the airport and on the beach.

Some people like the Island Beachcomber, and I have a few friends that have stayed RIGHT by the airport which is now called Carib Beach Resort and we happy with them. I am pretty sure all of those places allow for one night stays.

As for Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel, my sister and her husband stayed there their final night on STJ this past July and were very happy with it. They were only there 1 night. Maybe that has changed.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

Thanks for all your help, folks! We've had a number of people in the group drop out and so now we're searching for new accommodations, which I'm hoping we can just rent for that extra day. It'll all work out :D