Zika is essentially over in the VI

Travel discussion for St. John
Coconuts

Zika is essentially over in the VI

Post by Coconuts »

As was predicted by health authorities, Zika infections in the VI have recently collapsed, and are now essentially zero. The cycle played out very much as it did with Chikungunya, back in 2014. In both cases, infections on St. John were a minuscule fraction of overall infections, which is directly related to the habits of the transmitting mosquito, Aedes aegypti. These are household mosquitoes, and sustained viral transmission requires a high (urban) population density. St. John, where two-thirds of the island is a National Park, with low density vacation rentals accounting for much of the remainder, is simply not a supportive environment for mosquito-borne viral transmission.

In the higher population density areas of St. Thomas and St. Croix, where the epidemic did briefly become self-sustaining, the well-known phenomena of "herd immunity" has set in, and this has fueled the recent collapse in infection rates.

Here is a graph of the latest (October 26, 2016) data from the VI Dept. of Health:
2016 Zika
2016 Zika
The VI Department of Health link is here:
http://doh.vi.gov/assets/documents/2016 ... Report.pdf

The 2014 CHIKV epidemic looked very similar, albeit with a delay for St. Croix:
2014 CHIKV
2014 CHIKV
Here is a link to a 2014 VIOL post of mine when CHIKV was over:
http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... =1&t=27416

Good riddance!

PS: Even at very low levels of risk, it is still worth using prudent protection against mosquito bites. A little loose clothing or repellent certainly beats itchy bites!

All the best,

Kevin
Last edited by Coconuts on Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lark22

Re: Zika is essentially over in the VI

Post by lark22 »

Great news! Thanks, Kevin!
kklay

Post by kklay »

Thank you for the update and providing the detailed information!
hugo

Post by hugo »

Ummm.... Maybe so, but 5 people I know on St John have Zika right now, although I'm not sure if any of them are going to the trouble to try to get tested.
Andrea266

Post by Andrea266 »

This is intriguing. Not saying I don't agree with the data and this is totally anecdotal, but zika seems to be at its peak at my kids' school. Of course I didn't take my children to get tested because I didn't see the point and I'm sure there are many people who don't get tested.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Interesting... The collapse in reported and confirmed infections could in principle simply reflect a collapse in the rates of voluntary testing. The steep decline in CHIKV confirmations back in 2014 was quickly followed by a collapse in anecdotal reports, but then again, CHIKV was a much more painful illness, so that could account for why people sought medical help and got tested at such higher rates back then. It's interesting that more than half of the samples submitted during the last year came back from the lab as negative; this does suggest that other illnesses are being misidentified as Zika. However, it's always a good idea to factor in anecdotal accounts.

All the best,

Kevin
poidog

Post by poidog »

It's because the VI government is no longer cover the costs of the test, so no one is going to go pay to find out they have Zika when there is nothing you can do about it.
Follow our building blog @ Seas the Day Villa STJ
RickG

Post by RickG »

Yep, at least one friend (TTOL person) who was down for Halloween 2016 developed a confirmed case of Zika when she got home. Nobody I know who came down with Zika and lives in the VI visited a doctor or reported it. Treatment is Tylenol and rest.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI