Taxi with car seat?

Travel discussion for St. John
Chris @ Work

Taxi with car seat?

Post by Chris @ Work »

Our trip next June may include our daughter's family with our then 15 month old granddaughter. They do not plan to travel with car seat and while we will be renting one on STJ, getting from airport to Red Hook and return is a potential issue. Is anyone aware of any service that can provide one? If not, we would then need to consider car rental from STT or travel to STT on car barge to collect them.
Have read about Rachel and her personal service but not sure even she could provide.
[/url]
Teresa_Rae

Re: Taxi with car seat?

Post by Teresa_Rae »

We've traveled to STJ with car seats many times.

Unfortunately, I've heard bad things about taxis and car seats on STT. People have said that taxi drivers can be rude about car seats and refuse to allow you to install them. There's no way I would let my kiddos go without a car seat for the trip from the airport to Red Hook, so I would not risk a regular taxi. If you rented a private taxi, I'm hoping that car seat installation wouldn't be an issue.

We rent from Amalie on STT so we can install our car seats at the airport and go. We have inexpensive car seats that we use just for trips to STJ. They are lightweight and if they get damaged during travel, it's not a big deal because they cost so much less than our regular seats.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
CHM

Post by CHM »

Rachel is wonderful and she would have no problem with you installing / using your car seat. However I don't think she has one to provide, although I have never asked. I am not sure if Island Baby will deliver to the STT airport or maybe meet up with
Rachel ahead of time at the Red Hook ferry. But I would definitely ask.
Chris @ Work

Post by Chris @ Work »

Thank you both for your help.
[/url]