new snorkeling Book

Travel discussion for St. John
Exit Zero

new snorkeling Book

Post by Exit Zero »

This is a spectacular and comprehensive new book on STJ underwater. Southside Coral reef National Monument.

https://www.amazon.com/Virgin-Islands-C ... 928&sr=1-5

Snorkeling Guide by LLC Sarjim Enterprises

Amazon is sold out and I am not sure where else it is available but will keep looking and post accordingly.
Teresa_Rae

Re: new snorkeling Book

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Oooh, this would be a fantastic Christmas gift for avid snorkelers in the family. Thanks for sharing.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I just wanted to post and thank you, Exit Zero, for pointing this book out. I saw your note when you originally posted it but it took a while to track down a copy. It came yesterday and I was really pleased. For those who have not seen it, the pages are thick and glossy, perhaps waterproof (not sure on that), and the photography is stunning. Plus, it mostly focuses on places we don't normally get to see.

I've only glanced through it because I am giving it to my nephew as a Christmas gift and I want to preserve that "new book feel," but I am sure my entire family is going to enjoy looking through it over the holiday break. Thank you.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Just placed an order -- thank for the recommendation! Looking forward to seeing it :)
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Just placed an order. Too late for Christmas but that's OK, it's for me :D
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

Expect to have mine before our upcoming visit. The proprietors were very helpful with expedited shipping.

THANKS, Exit Zero!
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

So...
In reviewing the new snorkeling book, I'm intrigued by all of the prospects.
Borck, Princess, Haulover appear to possibly be accessible from the road? Any parking in the area?

I'm assuming that Otter & Water are only accessible form the water, yes?

Thanks for the help
Dave
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Mine was delivered yesterday! Can't wait to really dig into it. Thank you for the recommendation!
monicalamb

Post by monicalamb »

Princess Bay can be entered from the road. Bork, Otter Creek and Water Creek can only be accessed by kayak or private charter.

Water creek has a small sandy beach where you can park the kayak and snorkel for hours. Because this is a protected National Park, only a few selected charters can take you. You can find the list on the National Parks service website

Snorkeling the mangrove is low and slow to enjoy all the beauty. I plan on checking this book out. I've not done Bork, but that is on my list
monicalamb

Post by monicalamb »

Sorry, mint to way in on the Haulover beaches.

Haulover South has road side parking. The beach is white sand. Snorkeling is great both sides, I favor the right.

Haulover North uses the same parking. To reach this beach you need to walk thru the wooden area across the road. You will notice a well traveled path... this beach is rocky. I always have snorkel socks to make walking into the water to snorkel more confortable. This beach can be churned up if the waves are rolling in. Once out, you will be amazed with the color an size of sea fans. Snorkeling to the left is best
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

Thanks everyone!

Between the book and your advice, I know exactly where we'll be on Tues, Wed & Thurs when 6-14,000 cruisers arrive on STT. We'll be hitting the north coast favs on our other days.

Dave