Thoughts on Culebra or Vieques...?

Travel discussion for St. John
mahojim

Thoughts on Culebra or Vieques...?

Post by mahojim »

Anyone been that can recommend accommodations? Flights are cheap as heck!
SMILES-
MJ
Coconuts

Re: Thoughts on Culebra or Vieques...?

Post by Coconuts »

Jim: We spent Christmas week on Vieques the year before we bought Coconuts, and we really enjoyed our time there. We stayed at a small multi-unit place in the sleepy south coast town of Esperanza (its name escapes me these six years later). The beaches were varied and nice, although we do prefer those of St. John. The bioluminescent bay was amazing. We took a ferry to Vieques from Fajardo, and spent a few days beforehand checking out Old San Juan, Luquillo, and the roadside roast pork vendors of Puerto Rico.

We have not stayed on Culebra, but have heard fond memories from some who have.

All the best,

Kevin
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Find a small place in Esperanza, the island is lovely, quiet and the people friendly. I like Vieques so much I am considering relocating there. If you need a day or night of fancy, W Hotels has a place there. Very Chic chic and the spa is nice.
RickG

Post by RickG »

We enjoy both islands. We visited Culebra the last two Novembers and Vieques last November. Culebra is an easy sail for us. We love the friendly residents and cheap prices. Its a positive contrast from the USVIs and BVIs. We stay on the boat there. Not as many beaches and they are farther apart than on St. John, but then that goes for every other option.

Friends stayed at and loved culebrabeachrental.com on Flamenco Beach, Culebra. Its a short ride from the town of Dewey and the ferry/airport. Friends have also stayed at theviequesguesthouse.com in Esperanza, Vieques.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI