Best options staying 1 night on STT in-bound to STJ?

Travel discussion for St. John
jmq

Best options staying 1 night on STT in-bound to STJ?

Post by jmq »

Greetings
What are some of the best current options for flying in a day early staying 1 night on STT before heading onto ferry the next morning over to St John?
Considering also that we might need some eats on site or nearby with minimal fuss...those places near the airport, or someplace in town? Nothing fancy needed - just clean
Thanks
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
loria

Re: Best options staying 1 night on STT in-bound to STJ?

Post by loria »

a lot of people swear by Ronnies crystal palace!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
jmq

Post by jmq »

Thanks Loria but Tripadvisor seems to indicate that Ronnies has seen better days, so was wondering if anybody here has had recent experience there, or, at the airport hotels...
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Sumerwaters

Post by Sumerwaters »

Hello,
We had to spend a night on STT also.
We stayed at the Windward Passage (previously Holiday Inn).
It was fine.
We were able to walk a few blocks to get food, or you can get a pizza delivered.
The next morning we walked with our luggage to the downtown ferry to go to STJ.
It is not too bad with luggage, a few curbs that's all.
Sumer
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

This is very convenient to Frenchtown by foot and the airport and town ferry docking by short taxi ride.

http://www.olgasfancy.com/

You might look at :

http://www.islandviewstthomas.com/

Taxi distance airport and town - excellent food on site some days

OR:
http://www.thegreeniguana.com/

No food on site - walkable to town and ferry dock - taxi from airport - great hosts
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

We've had good luck staying at the Marriott. They have a ferry that takes you to town if you want to walk around and get dinner. Plus, we can usually cash in points to stay there.
Suziekue

Post by Suziekue »

I've stayed hat the Crystal Palace, it was years ago but I would not revisit, once was enough for me. I usually stay at the Marriott, have had good experiences there. I always watch the current price as each time the room rate has started out at $300 plus when I reserved but by the time we've travel it dropped to about $170, they do have a resort fee that is additional though.
Soarin' with the eagles all week long, and this is all that we've learned about living - VACATION!

equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Try Two Sandals By The Sea, a bed and breakfast that is owned by a lovely couple. Walking distance to Red Hook in about 10 minutes. I live there for awhile when I made the transition to living on St Thomas.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We've had good luck with Emerald Beach hotel. It's very close to the airport, has a restaurant, and it has a pool and beach.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We stayed at the Green Iguana once for two nights. Very nice hosts. I remember a small selection of beers and wine for purchase. Charming in an old-school motel sort of way, very clean and icy AC (we were there in July). However, the managers were VERY adamant that we not walk after dark. I questioned them, arguing that we are street smart, experienced, etc. but then decided they knew better. Got ripped off (over charged) by the cab driver on the way home one night.

Last time we stayed at the Marriott on points. It was fine for a night. The rooms need a refurb but the on-site restaurant down by the Morningstar section is wonderful. There is a small store in the lobby for refreshments and breakfast options. For the points, I should have spent a bit more for the Ritz Carlton.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I like Bunker Hill Hotel on STT, in Charlotte Amalie. I've stayed there twice now. Small place, very quaint, clean and safe. There is a good restaurant on site, for dinner and drinks - Sugarcane Grille. They also serve free hot breakfast. The price is FABULOUS, and the people who run the place are as warm and friendly as can be. They have my vote.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

I'm with Jim on the Best Western Emerald Beach angle. All of the rooms face right onto the beach and Lindberg Bay, nice pool, restaurant, and Tiki bar, and a two minute walk with roll-along from the airport.

All the best,

Kevin
simmonsgrege

Post by simmonsgrege »

We are on island right now, flew in a day early and stayed at The Mafolie Hotel. They have an outstanding restaurant and bar, and breakfast is free with made to order omelets. Great veins overlooking the harbor. Rooms are clean and have all we needed for a good stay.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Emerald Beach is many times our 1st night and last night of the trip.
Ron in South Texas

Post by Ron in South Texas »

We stayed at the Green Iguana. I wanted a place with a full sized refrigerator to make sure my frozen food stayed that way. It was clean, the beds were comfy, the a/c worked, the price was good, and the owners were very nice...I will stay there again on our next trip...
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!