Drake's Lookout?

Travel discussion for St. John
DuxDweller

Drake's Lookout?

Post by DuxDweller »

Anyone stayed here lately? Looks like an amazing view. I've never stayed up in Coral Bay area. Is this close to any bar/restaurants? TIA
northerngal

Re: Drake's Lookout?

Post by northerngal »

will be interested in this response also. We thought long and hard about this place but ended up not choosing it.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

I have never stayed at this place but I live in the neighborhood. While it is within the boundaries of the Coral Bay Quarter, It is located almost exactly half way between Coral Bay and Cruz Bay. The views from Bordeaux Mountain are amazing. And it is always at least 5 degrees cooler than in the coastal areas.

The closest restaurant, Chateau Bordeaux, is located less than one mile away. It is open sometimes for breakfast and lunch. I don't recall seeing it open for dinner in a while.

Other than that it is approx 4 miles to restaurants in Coral Bay and Cruz Bay. From this location you have your choice of destinations for beaches, and restaurants,
jofus

Post by jofus »

I stayed there some years back it is in Coral Bay on the hill above Aqua Bistro and the other shops there. I think " iheartsj" is confusing it with Drakes View. I'm glad I stayed there, the views were AMAZING during a full moon! However I would not return. Stayed a week in Feb of 2006, not enough sun exposure for me,which keeps the pool very cold to the point that we never used it and way too windy for me. I couldn't even keep my cigarette lit the wind was so powerful up there. The house itself was very nice and we liked that it had an indoor staircase to the bedrooms. Another plus was the close proximity to the restaurants in Coral Bay and not a bad ride to Francis Bay which is one of our favorites. I'm sure I did a trip report with pics but I think its on the "old forum"...I will see if I can find it
jofus

Post by jofus »

found my old review

virgin islands on line : st. john : hotel & villa reviews
drakes' lookout 02/26/2006
Reviewers Rating: Stars Excellent
My husband and I stayed at Drakes 2/13 - 2/20, 2006. Very nice place. A steep but fairly easy drive up Bordeaux Mt Rd (Rt. 108) takes you to this villa. It's very clean, well maintained and has a very "homey" feel to it.
Very comfortably furnished and well stocked with kitchen utensils. OUTSTANDING views of Coral Bay, Tortola, East End and beyond. It's very private visually(clothing optional) but it is on a populated road so you do get traffic and villa construction noise.

The only real disappointment we had there was that there was no sun on the pool at this time of year. You do get sun exposure on the pool deck just not the pool itself so the water was FRIGID! I wouldn't stick so much as a toe in there. However the views more then made up for not being able to use the pool. Also be prepared for constant wind or breezes way up there. The wind could be a little overwhelming at times. Again something the views more than made up for.

I'd highly recommend this villa and the Destination St. John agency that we booked through. They were wonderful to work with and the provide a really nice "Welcome" basket. We consumed everything in it except the limes!

jofus

jofus
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking of Drake's View. Never heard of Drake's Lookout.
CinnBay

Post by CinnBay »

My husband and I stayed in Drake's Lookout back in May 2010. We loved this villa and used the pool every day. The view looking out over Coral Bay is amazing!! The villa was clean and comfortable, although we spent most of our time outdoors. The master suite is separate from the rest of the house and doesn't have any view that I remember. We would definitely stay again.