Finally Sailing the BVI's with some ???

Travel discussion for St. John
Sharkbait

Finally Sailing the BVI's with some ???

Post by Sharkbait »

Landlubbers? With a few land based trips to St John, Virgin Gorda, & Tortola. Watching the sailboats cruise in & by and dingy's coming into port, especially at Leverick & Cane Garden Bay looked like a lot fun. So we're giving it a try on the Liberty Star Schooner out of Red Hook and around the BVI's.... Any advice with living on a boat for a week? Packing, Itineraries,etc? We will be staying in a Villa close to the Coral Bay area afterwards for 8 nights
Exit Zero

Re: Finally Sailing the BVI's with some ???

Post by Exit Zero »

pack lightly for the boat trip - in a soft duffle bag type luggage. perhaps they will have a storage on land for your other luggage for the STJ stay. Understand the water and power restraints on board - listen to the orientation talk attentively - it is a different way of life - they may stress proper head usage , ask and make sure you understand - clogged heads are a common and major problem.
Wear sunscreen more than usual - you are outside all day - don't use sprays or oils - pure aloe lotions will help you feel comfortable at night.
Don't bring sand - from shoes, towels, gear, etc. onto the boat.
Don't get your bunk wet - think about where you put things.
realize that when the boat is underway things may not stay where you set them, stuff goes overboard - keep a hand on the boat moving around and be conscious of your center of gravity.
keep your things neat - a messy boat is not fun for anyone.
offer to help - ask questions - the crew likely loves talking sailing and boat stuff.
Things that get wet with salt water never really dry - tshirts, towels shoes etc.
You will have a great trip - enjoy the new habits and all the other things that living aboard show you - co-operation with and consideration of all the other people aboard is a primary factor in everyone enjoying the week,
Have fun! it is the best vacation going!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

That sounds like an interesting and fun trip. Great planning to have the villa stay on the back end.

My grandparents kept a sail boat for years and my step-brother and SIL are getting ready to become full-time sailors in the BVIs.

Several times we came very close to booking a crewed charter but couldn't bring ourselves to commit because my husband isn't cut out for boat living, even for just a few days.

Sailing, even on the nicest of boats, is like camping on the water. I agree with everything Exit says and will double-down on the head usage warning and the "salt water things never really dry" statement.

Please post about your sail after it is over. We circled that boat a couple of trips ago and it looks like a lot of fun.
RickG

Post by RickG »

We've been sailing eight weeks a year in the VIs since 2013. I would say that a microfiber towel and quick dry clothing are key to my comfort; the quick dry clothing is easily washed with Woolite and we do our wash in a medium dry bag. Their packing list is pretty good. I would add sailing gloves - you can buy the West Marine standard.

Bring a couple of bathing suits as you'll be doing a lot of your showers at the deck shower. Think about a small mesh shower bag with your necessaries. Remember that conditioner is very slippery on decks.

They will likely ask you not to bring spray sunscreen or DEET based bug spray as they can discolor fabric and upholstery. Picaridin bug spray is ranked by Consumer Reports above DEET.

I also bring Bonine (generic Meclazine), sunglass and hat retainers (they will fly), Koozies for cans/bottles, zip ties, small dry bag, shower togs/flip flops... I have a longer list.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI