Taxi service from Airport to Red Hook...Live and Learn

Travel discussion for St. John
jdjcmaso

Taxi service from Airport to Red Hook...Live and Learn

Post by jdjcmaso »

A certain driver has been heavily recommended on this board. 3 years ago I had a good experience with this driver.
This year, I had prearranged transportation with the same driver. When I arrived in STT, a sign with my name was held up by a substitute driver, no problem, she did a good job. $50 for the two of us. OK....
For the return trip, I confirmed with the driver the day before my departure. Even that morning, driver called me to give me license plate of the vehicle so I could find the driver. When I arrived at Red Hook, my driver is nowhere to be found. I looked, waited, called and got voicemail. 5 minutes later, driver calls me and I asked "where are you? I'm here at Red Hook". Driver responded with a "damn", and then I got disconnected. Another taxi driver was ready to leave and asked if I needed a ride, I said I was supposed to be picked up but she's not here. He said he could take us. I asked how much, he said $30. So we went. $20 cheaper. When I got to the airport, a couple we met on STJ said their taxi only cost $15 per person, so in addition to being stood up, I felt ripped off.
Can anyone else tell me what they usually pay for the ride?
Joe
PA Girl

Re: Taxi service from Airport to Red Hook...Live and Learn

Post by PA Girl »

Was this your first visit to STJ? Private transfer vs. regular taxi van is a polarizing topic.

One will pay more for a PRIVATE taxi that operates on your schedule, which is what you booked. You pay extra for the service, non-stop to the dock, a stop grocery stop, etc depending on your needs. This is private transportation service as opposed to a taxi ride.

The $15 pp fee is the regulated rate for an on-duty, multi-passenger taxi van, you were quoted and charge that rate for your ride back to the airport.

Comparing the two are apples and oranges.
Pia

Post by Pia »

If you arrive at the airport you have 3 options...

1. Walk outside and get in a van with other people - this van will more than limey stop to drop people off at multiple destinations (hotels, Tortola ferry dock etc) however sometimes will go directly to Red Hook and the cost $15.00 per person

2. Walk outside and get a private taxi just for the people in your group - cost $90.00 for 1-6 guests then $15.00 per person after (I think it is for the first 6 it might be for the first 5 not sure but the "base starting rate" is $90.00)

3. Pre-arrange a private taxi in advance with Rachel (or other) and have this taxi just for the people in your group and pay a pre-determined rate - in your case $50.00 for the 2 of you - BARGAIN for a private taxi

Hope this helps and all of this has been mentioned before (private cost vs shared cost) so no you were not ripped off and for a private received a very good rate.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
jdjcmaso

Post by jdjcmaso »

Thanks for the clarification. Now if she had only been there I would never have had to write this post. She left without us, according to the taxi driver who did take us.
Joe
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

My friend Pia is correct. What she overlooked is that the shared taxi will also charge for bags. It seems to vary, but I think $3 per bag is a good number. If the two of you are carrying 2 bags each, you can add another $12 to your $30. You are now at $42. After the third intermediate stop, ask yourself if you would have paid an extra $8 to catch this ferry instead of waiting another hour for the next one.

I like the pre-arranged private taxi. If I am going to spend that much money for a trip to STJ, I would like the convenience, space and timeliness of a private ride to the ferry or back to the airport. I think nothing of giving $20 to a porter to quickly get me through the airport (still the best $20 I spend in the VI), why would I keep $8 in my pocket and sit in the ferry terminal staring at an island I can't get to for another hour?

The most important point is that it is your money and vacation. Spend them the way you want.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

jdjcmaso

Post by jdjcmaso »

Jim, I dont know if you read my reply but She left without us, according to the taxi driver who did take us. That's the main complaint I had.
Joe
Joe
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

"so in addition to being stood up, I felt ripped off.
Can anyone else tell me what they usually pay for the ride?"

I think the replies were also taking this part of your comment into consideration when they responded.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Thank you EZ.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

toni

Post by toni »

I have t admit the taxi rates I read people post always have me scratching my head a bit. It is $15 from the airport to red hook, but if it's two or more people it's $11 each according to the posted rate. Add a piece of luggage each(which is how we travel) at $2 per bag it works out to $26 plus tip which is $30 and that's what we pay when we take the multi person vans. I think we calculate it out right :) Our last driver a few weeks ago knew that people wanted to make the 9pm ferry so she only made one stop and got us there without a problem. Some people want the private taxi and a more direct trip and/ or have more people in their group or a lot of luggage or are in a bigger hurry.