Trip Report December 3 - 10

Travel discussion for St. John
jwwj

Trip Report December 3 - 10

Post by jwwj »

Anniversary Trip Dec 3 – Dec 10

This trip was our 10th in 9 years and each one seems to get better. We had an uneventful nonstop from IAD to STT but arrived 20 minutes late at 1:25. We’ve been carryon only since our first trip and an added benefit of that this trip was Rachel got us to Red Hook in time for the 2:00 ferry. We weren’t in a rush and told her so but she said it was a no cruise ship day so it shouldn’t be a problem and we got there at exactly 2:00.
Checked into Gallows, our third time here, and loved our lower harbor view room. We really enjoy the convenience of staying in town, being able to walk to restaurants and bars and we also love the friendly staff. We were checked in, unpacked and sitting on patio having a beer at 3:00, easy peasy.
Sunday was our anniversary and my wife had arranged for a couple’s massage. I’ve never had a massage or frankly any desire to have one but thought as a good husband I should go alone with the program. I’m a convert, it was sort of like having a mini vacation during our vacation. Crandall Massage came to us at Gallows for a 1 hour Swedish massage and it was fabulous! Obviously, I don’t have anything to compare it to by wifey has massages frequently and was very impressed. Highly recommend!
Restaurants this trip:
Zozo’s – most excellent! Remains in a class by itself for wonderful food, service and ambiance without being stuffy. Were here for our anniversary dinner and they treated us like royalty including a complementary dessert that was to die for.
Ocean 362 – 2 dinners here and both were very good. We were very happy with the 4 different appetizers, 3 different entrees. There were also doing a good business with most of the tables full which is much better than when we were here a year ago.
Lime Inn – on our last couple of trips we’ve come here twice, once so I could get the shrimp Dijon and once for the whole snapper. We were a little disappointed this time, probably because we liked the way it used to be but it is different now. Since Rich turned the restaurant over to his daughter they have made the menu much smaller and we weren’t thrilled with the whole blackened snapper. Maybe we’ll give it another try and go without expectations.
Rhumblines – only ok, was hit and miss with our assortment of small plates
Cruz Bay Landing – lunch a few times, all good, enjoyed everything we had. Especially enjoyed the landing shrimp!
Extra Virgin – wow! Fantastic! Will be on our must go to for the foreseeable future. The pasta and the fresh fish were both prepared superbly.
La Tapa – menu hasn’t changed much in the last 10 years but everything is so good it doesn’t need to. Went on our favorite, Jazz night and if I could only have one thing to eat on a trip to SJ it would be the crispy pork belly from La Tapa.

Beaches:
Hawks nest – big swells early in the week and very little beach space because, we were told, very high tides because of northern storms. Only available beach areas were to the right toward Gibney. It is still one of our favorite beaches and we enjoyed bouncing around with noodles in the water. Didn’t attempt to snorkel since it was so rough.
We didn’t attempt to go to Gibney since I didn’t think we’d be able to get past the cottage with the high tide.
Trunk – went when there were only 2 cruise ships in ST and it was an overcast day so it wasn’t crowded at all. Unfortunately it was a bad mosquito day and they weren’t deterred by deet or anything else. Spent a lot of time in the water but again didn’t do any snorkeling since it was still pretty rough and the water was cloudy.
Maho – finally got some snorkeling in, lots of turtles. Beach was very crowded but no one set up close and played music so we were happy. I love many different genre of music but it’s the last thing I want to hear when I’m sitting on a beach.
Cinnamon – a couple trips here, our favorite this trip. Guess it was less crowded than usual since the camp sites are operational. Looks like it will be a while before the restaurant will be open and didn’t see any activity on the new “tents”. Great place to gaze at the scenery and read and relax.
Had some very good snorkeling from the “beach” at Gallows. Thankfully there were a lot less sea urchins than last trip. The coral looked healthy and a lot of parrot fish.

This and that:
Rented our car at St John Car Rental, met one of the new owners, very nice. They have become more tech savvy and have updated the online reservations and text you reminders you the time the car is due back. They had everything ready when we arrived, just had to give them a credit card to swipe, and look at the car for any damages and we were on our way. Cynthia is no longer managing and we were told she was doing event planning. Missed seeing her.
Lots of construction at Wharfside Village. There was a jackhammer being used between the Beach Bar and Joe’s Rum hut that was incredibly loud, they were even working all day Sunday. Unfortunately for the first time ever we didn’t even have a drink at the BB. Cruz Bay Landing is a good alternative.
First time going early December and probably won’t be the last. Upside not as crowded as February, downside only direct flights at that time of year are on Saturday or Sunday.
Called Caneel and asked if we could come by and look at the location of the different rooms so we could pick an area for our next trip. They acted like it was the strangest request they’d ever received. Was transferred to 3 different people, all seemed perplexed, was put on hold and then told someone would call me back. They never did. Guess we’ll stick with Gallows :?
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
cindygad

Re: Trip Report December 3 - 10

Post by cindygad »

Thanks for your trip report. You must have started coming the same time as us. This Jan will be our 10th time in 9 years. We have never snorkeled by Gallows or Franks bay. Where is the best place to snorkel there?
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

Hi Cindygad, we originally went to Frank Bay a few years ago when we were staying at Grande Bay for a few days without a car before going to a villa. The beach is really rocky and it's difficult getting in the water without water shoes and there were a lot of urchins but there are several areas with nice snorkeling. To the left after you enter the water there is some nice coral and fish. I didn't see much in the middle area but on the right towards the point heading to the area in front of Gallows there is some nice coral as well. After going around the point, close to the shore i've seen a nurse shark and an eagle ray. Entering the water from Gallows there is a resident barracuda, Frank, that hangs around the swim platform and a nice area a little to the right of the platform. I've never gone much beyond that towards Cruz Bay.
I wouldn't consider it a destination snorkel but if you are in town without a car and don't want to schlep your gear along with everything else in a taxi it's pretty nice.
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

Great trip report - thanks! We've been going to Gallows for at least the last 15 years...I'm curious to know if they have started construction of the new pool and deck area, or if you've heard anything about that. We are set for August but are really concerned that the pool will not be finished and whether we will still be able to snorkel from the lower deck area. Any news will be appreciated.
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

Hi Sunflower and Thanks! sorry we didn't hear anything about a new pool. Not sure why they need one, the existing one appears to me to be in good shape and the deck area looks fine too.
Hope you have a wonderful trip in August!
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

:D :D :D :D
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Thanks for info on snorkeling Franks bay! I think we might give it a try. I would love to stay at Gallows sometime. Right now since we come for 3 weeks it is over our budget. On my bucket list!
silands

Post by silands »

Is Extra Virgin where Virgin Fire was in Mongoose Junction?
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Extra Virgin is where Fatty Crab's was previously located. Enjoy - amazing restaurant!
Image[/url]