Gluten free in coral Bay Area?

Travel discussion for St. John
northerngal

Gluten free in coral Bay Area?

Post by northerngal »

We are heading to St.John in March, staying in coral bay. We do have one that has celiac and must eat gluten free. Any suggestions?
Teresa_Rae

Re: Gluten free in coral Bay Area?

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I got my celiac diagnosis was almost 9 years ago so I have many STJ trips under my belt since having to go GF, and the only place I've successfully eaten GF on the Coral Bay side was Tourist Trap, which is now closed.

My sister's husband also has celiac disease and I know he tried to order something GF at Aqua Bistro and had a bad experience (the waitress was like, "no matter how hard I try to tell the kitchen to make something gluten free, there will probably still throw some flour on it"...this was a couple years ago).

I've had lots of success eating GF in Cruz Bay.

I'll ask my BIL if there was anywhere else in Coral Bay that he was able to eat; I also have a shellfish allergy, so there are places that he could eat GF but I could not, because he sticks to a lot of shellfish while on STJ.

Oh, I've eaten many smoothies at the smoothie truck and have never gotten sick; I just ask them to clean the blender because they do sell cookies and cream smoothies (I'm pretty sure that is the only smoothie ingredient they have that contains gluten).
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Oh, I've heard that people have done ok at Skinny Legs by eating a burger without a bun.
- Mark Twain
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Teresa_Rae wrote: My sister's husband also has celiac disease and I know he tried to order something GF at Aqua Bistro and had a bad experience (the waitress was like, "no matter how hard I try to tell the kitchen to make something gluten free, there will probably still throw some flour on it"...this was a couple years ago).
Correction, it was a waiter, not a waitress, but my BIL didn't have any other recommendations for Coral Bay ;)

This is actually one of the primary reasons we've been gravitating back towards the Cruz Bay side of the island in recent years; I just love going out for dinner in Cruz Bay and there are several places that I've been able to eat without getting sick.
- Mark Twain