Car Ferry Update

Travel discussion for St. John
Agent99

Car Ferry Update

Post by Agent99 »

Hi folks! It's been a while. I have checked in periodically over the last couple of years but haven't been on St. John since 2015. I recall reading about some changes with the car ferries. Can anyone comment on whether the changes (if still in effect) have made it less convenient to rent the vehicle at the airport? We used to always rent on STJ but then switched to the airport and loved that we could stock up on supplies on STT. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
iheartsj

Re: Car Ferry Update

Post by iheartsj »

The car ferry situation is iffy. The largest ferry, Mr. B, was seized for non payment of debt a year ago and still sits idle at the dock on St. John. Only three ferrries have been running since then. They are all much smaller and they have been unreliable with many maintenance issues.

My recommendation is to rent a car on St. John. Last year this time folks who rented cars on St. Thomas were abandoning them on St. John rather than wait in line for 2-4 hours for a ferry back to St. Thomas.

As of today 3 ferries are running. As of tomorrow it is anybody's guess.
Agent99

Re: Car Ferry Update

Post by Agent99 »

Thank you so much IHeart! That's exactly the first hand feedback I was hoping for.