Groceries

Travel discussion for St. John
CaribbeanSoul

Groceries

Post by CaribbeanSoul »

I haven't been on island in several years. For those that have been recently, how well stocked are the meat and produce selections at Starfish and Dolphin markets? Trying to decide whether or not to bring some prime cuts of beef/chicken. Thanks for the feedback.
AquaGirl

Re: Groceries

Post by AquaGirl »

We were on-island in May/June 2016. We arrived on a Sun and went to Starfish. The produce area was very empty and some items were looked old and shriveled. Some were rotting and covered with mold. We bought what looked good - carrots, red peppers, snow peas, FL oranges. Later in the week, they had nice grapes (a large bag was $18!) , canteloupe and bananas. We stopped in Dolphin a few times and they had some fresh items. (I didn't write down what we bought in my journal.)

We have bought pork shops, steak and fish (Mahi) at Starfish (2016 and 2014 trips). It was all fresh and delicious. We've never bought chicken.

With that said, it seems like it really depends upon what day you hit the stores as to what you will find that is fresh. Several locals we spoke to said the same thing. It depends upon their deliveries.

Be sure to look at Coconuts' post about grocery prices in the sale flyer. Many of those prices are the same or better than we pay here in the Wash DC area.

Have a great trip!