Maho a Maho

Travel discussion for St. John
Coconuts

Maho a Maho

Post by Coconuts »

Years ago, savoring a Big G at Joe's Rum Hut, I was struck by the gorgeous yellow flowers in the trees along the Cruz Bay beach. My server had no idea what those trees were, nor did I at the time, but I looked them up. Mahos, every one.

We spent a number of pleasant days at Maho Bay during this visit, and earlier this week, during a stroll along the shore there, I noticed lots of buds in the Mahos, and one early flower, the harbinger of more to come:
Maho a Maho
Maho a Maho
Here's a close-up of that flower:
Maho flower close-up
Maho flower close-up
and a more macro view of a Maho tree at Maho Bay:
Maho tree
Maho tree
These beautiful flowers only last for a couple of days, turning from yellow to maroon, and eventually a green pod grows where the flower had been. By the time the pods are ready to drop, and disperse their seeds, they will be a leathery brown (and black after they fall). The seed pods float, and ocean currents help disperse them along near and distant shores. Mahos (technically Thespesia populnea) are very well adapted to saline environments, and are often found in association with mangroves.

All the best,

Kevin
mahojim

Re: Maho a Maho

Post by mahojim »

Gorgeous!
Gotta love the Big Green.
Smiles-
MJ
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Beautiful flower- looks a lot like a hibiscus. I wonder if they are in the same family. Speaking of a good yellow flower mystery, several years ago we were on the island in late April and saw this beautiful tree in full bloom. I was never able to find out what it was. Anyone know?

Suziekue

Post by Suziekue »

Thank you for sharing the detail on the yellow flower Kevin, it's beautiful and I can see why you wanted to know more. On various trips I've taken close up pictures of gorgeous flowers and framed them to decorate a half bath in my house. Works well and you get to see them when it's cold and snowy outside.

Sorry Agent99 the tree is amazing but I'm no help with what kind.
Soarin' with the eagles all week long, and this is all that we've learned about living - VACATION!

Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Beautiful plant, Kevin. I'm so curious about underwater life that I pay less attention to the flora of the island, which is my flaw. Thank you for your post and making me aware of them.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Thanks Kevin...I wonder how the Beach got it's name?

Phone # at Coconuts still the same? :lol:

Bigcheeze/Dave
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Tut tut tut, BC! A promise is a promise... :wink:

We did change the locks...

All the best,

Kevin