Villa questions

Travel discussion for St. John
ihochman

Villa questions

Post by ihochman »

Hi, I'm planning on my 10th trip to St John next year. I'm researching two bedroom villas in the Great Cruz Bay area and found one I really like. Has anyone stayed at Chez Shell? If so I was wondering if you had any situations with the owners living in a downstairs apartment? I've never had that situation and am a bit weary of it. Thanks and I hope someone gets back to me.
liamsaunt

Re: Villa questions

Post by liamsaunt »

For me an owner on site is a dealbreaker. I like my privacy. However, others specifically seek out owner-occupied properties because it makes them feel safer, and I don't ever recall reading a report of on-site owners being intrusive.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

I have never stayed in a villa with an onsite owner so I don't have any experience but I would feel uncomfortable. Although many people do stay in villas with onsite owners and I have not heard of any issues. Are there any reviews online or through the rental agency?

Interesting I think Chez Shell was on House Hunters International once.
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

We have been visiting STJ for 16 years . On four of those trips we stayed at properties that the owners either lived beside the home or resided on another level of the home . Three of those times the owners or caretakers were absolutely great....we only saw them if we needed them. However...at one place it was not a good thing. It actually was obnoxious and even a little creepy !! Maybe we were just very lucky the first three times.....but that one left a bad taste in our mouth as some call it. We also want and enjoy our privacy as well ... so don't think we will ever stay at a home where owners live again .

Sherry in SC
aka philbetm
" I believe there's Magic here...."
ihochman

Post by ihochman »

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've been hesitant to stay at a place with the owners living on the premises. Your responses have certainly help me make up my mind. I'll be checking other villas. Thanks