Four Bed with view of St. Thomas

Travel discussion for St. John
klikesfins

Four Bed with view of St. Thomas

Post by klikesfins »

Hello Everyone! I have the "wonderful" assignment of finding a villa for 8 people. All of course have their own wish list and trying to satisfy it, while not impossible it has become trying. I need four bedrooms, pool, closer to town than Virgin Grand Estates, with a view of St. Thomas, in July, all with a budget around $5000.

Here is my current short list...any comments would be appreciated!
LeLapin- is the foilage too grown to see St. Thomas, looks like it is on the backside of the hill.
Aurora- It is too old and in need of a reno?
Rileys Retreat- Don't know much about the area the area this is located.
Altagracia- think this one is being kicked out as the bathrooms on the lower level are open to the bedrooms and the people sharing these rooms aren't that intimate with one another.
Agent99

Re: Four Bed with view of St. Thomas

Post by Agent99 »

I don't know about availability but have you looked at Argonauta?
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I have stayed at Aurora, Altagracia, and Agent99's recommendation Argonauta.

I would not recommend Altagracia for your group because of the bathroom issue you mentioned. My husband and I found it less than ideal and obviously we are very close!

Argonauta is great but be aware that the bedrooms are not equal. The master is stunning. The poolside suite is very nice. The third bedroom is lovely but reached via a steep spiral staircase. The fourth has no view and shares its bathroom with the main living area. Also the the pool is small for a group your size.

We really enjoyed Aurora and did not find it overly dated. It is an older home but well maintained. You might find the main room a little small for a group of eight. The pool is lovely and there's lots of outdoor space.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
klikesfins

Post by klikesfins »

Thanks for the advise. Looks like Aurora is the winner. I planned a trip to St. John for a group of 11 three years ago, so 8 should be a piece of cake! Hah! Couple of things I learned with a large group...
1.) I had koozies made for the trip and put names on them to help keep track of drinks. Also found clear, cling on stickers to put on glass, glasses. These stayed on the refrigerator when not being used. Thankfully, this solved the "whose drink is this?"
2.) We assigned jobs to everyone. One person was in charge of rounding up the trash. Another keeping the house supplied with drinking water, etc.
3.) We placed a laundry basket outside the main living space for people to deposit their shoes.

We went our separate ways during the day and all gathered for dinner together at the house each night. It was fun. Hoping for more fun memories this year!

Thanks again for the input!!
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

Looks like you and I are in the same boat . I am looking for something for 8 as well. Hubby wants sunset and STT views . Daughter needs central air due to medical issue . Pulling my hair out ! :cry: . we are looking for July . :roll:

Sherry in SC
" I believe there's Magic here...."
Timo

Post by Timo »

Great idea with the koozies, heading down end of April with 7 family members and will start getting them ASAP.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Le Lapin is on the flat top of a hill and has just okay views. Take a look at Argonauta as mentioned. Very nice.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

We stayed in Villa Serendipity 3 years ago. It has 4 bedrooms with a view of Chocolate hole and St. Thomas. There is a great deck and pool area. Sunset views over St.Thomas are gorgeous. The kitchen had been newly renovated. We had a wonderful week here.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

As I look on line for Villa Serendipity I see that it is actually now a 5 bedroom. They have converted an office into a bedroom. It looks like they have also added new patio furniture. I would love to stay there again.
ledmiston

Post by ledmiston »

We stayed at Aurora last year and will be there again in 9 days. We're a group of 6 and it was perfect. Agree with comment that living area might be tight for 8 but we were fine. We ate outside every night. The outdoor dining table might also be tight for 8 because the chairs surrounding it are large and you would have to squeeze 2 additional chairs in. Love the views! Very convenient to Cruz Bay.