Winsome House

Travel discussion for St. John
sunrum

Winsome House

Post by sunrum »

Good Morning. My husband and I booked Winsome House for a week in April. I can't find any new reviews. Has anyone stayed there recently? Pros and Cons?
hoosierdaddy

Re: Winsome House

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Sorry I cannot help but the villa looks awesome from what I have seen online. Good luck on your search.
sunrum

Post by sunrum »

Thanks Hoosierdaddy. I love the view and the location. I hear the last past of the drive may be rough. Just wondering if we will feel OK driving back after dinner or if we should plan more dinners in and more lunches out.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Eating times and locations are such tough questions for us. You just never know how you are going to feel from day to day. We tend to eat out much more than eating in. On our first trip we ate dinner in the villa several times but since then it is a rarity. I am not sure how bad the drive way is but I would bet as long as your not inebriated you should be fine. Maybe think of it as part of the adventure. I know my wife and I had a drive once that you had to give it some juice coming off of the road. It was slightly scary the first time but after that it was like riding a thrill ride at an amusement park. :lol:
jb4stern

Post by jb4stern »

Hi sunrum,

I answered your question over on the "other board", but I did want to add that if you have any other questions or want to know any specifics, I'd be happy to answer what I can.
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Great choice!! We are heading back (at the end of April) for our third stay at A Winsome House. That fact, in itself, should tell you what we think of the place. It is now officially our "home away from home". The location on the island is perfect. The road is paved part way - then turns to dirt. You will definitely need a Jeep for clearance, as the dirt road is a bit "ruddy" and you will want to go slowly, as not to get completely bounced around. As you near the villa, the road will turn back to paved and there is a sharp switchback, but, as long as you hug it tightly, you will be fine.
The views from the villa are nothing short of amazing!! The beds are ohhh sooo comfortable. And the view from the upstairs bedroom shower is breath-taking. We always see donkeys on the road and usually deer, too. There is a villa (Caribbean Jewel) right before A Winsome House, we "sometimes" would hear conversations if they were out on their porch. But, nothing that would be terribly bothersome.
Going back and forth into either Cruz Bay or Coral Bay were fine. We did enjoy grabbing pizza from Indigo Grill in Coral Bay and bringing it home! If you have any particular questions, feel free to PM me.
Enjoy!! Can't wait to hear from you after your "first" stay there!
Sue
sunrum

Post by sunrum »

Thank you so much SuefromMA. What you described sounds perfect to me. The views are what attracted me to this villa. We stay in Great Turtle which has a similar view several years ago with our kids, and it was my favorite view we ever had. I loved the peaceful mornings so much, it was hard to head for the beach. I love staying on the Coral Bay side, but my husband likes being a little closer to Cruz Bay, so it seemed like a happy compromise. Do you remember if there were any rafts for the pool? Wondering if I should bring some? Indigo Grill is on my list. Thanks again!