Back to St. John! Just 2 Questions, please!

Travel discussion for St. John
vi lover

Post by vi lover »

Hello! After a 3 year absence, we are heading back to STJ in early February. We'll be celebrating my wife's birthday while on-island and I'm seeking a solid restaurant recommendation. We went to Lime Inn last time. Great time, but she is allergic to lobster/shellfish so it kinda takes the luster off of Lime Inn. Zo Zo's is great, but a little too expensive for our taste. She did not like Rhumblines when we went awhile back. So - any other thoughts?

And - we'll be taking the car barge over on Saturday afternoon. I planned to catch a 5pm ferry. Any recent news on the barge situation? It's hard to let the villa rep know what time to meet when you are so uncertain about the ferry schedules/dependability.

Thanks!
loria

Re: Back to St. John! Just 2 Questions, please!

Post by loria »

extra virgin . make a reservation
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
KatieH

Post by KatieH »

I second Extra Virgin
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

And another vote for Extra Virgin! For us it is a close 2nd to Zozo's. Please realize though that it can also get expensive. Maybe take a look at their menu and decide. Other nice places that we like are La Tapa and The Terrace.
http://www.extravirginbistro.com/
Image[/url]
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

We celebrated our 25th anniversary at Vista Mare. We loved the location and the food.
jdjcmaso

Post by jdjcmaso »

Our best meals last month were Zozo's, Extra Virgin, and Ocean 362. They are definitely worth the extra $$. My recommendation would be to have a few inexpensive meals like Uncle Joe's or Candi's BBQ, then splurge the other nights. After all, this is vacation and the memories are priceless!
Joe
vi lover

Post by vi lover »

Well I personally agree. AND - I have this amazing wife who just hates excessive spending on meals. Plus - we have a group of 8 and I'm trying to be conscious of their budgets, too.

Thanks for the recommendations! I have sent the web sites and menus to our group for review. Can't make a bad choice!

Any update on the Car Barge situation? We plan to catch the 4:30 or 5pm barge on Saturday. Curious if there's a continued issue with long waits. If so - need to bring extra money for, well, you know (tropical drinks while we wait!).
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Extra Virgin Bistro is excellent, BUT you say your wife has a shrimp/crab/lobster allergy. Make sure to review the menu carefully to be sure that there is something on there that she can/will eat. Many of the dishes have lobster as a component even if it is not the main focus of the dish. I dislike lobster intensely and was surprised by how much that limited my choices there. An allergy is obviously a lot more serious than my dislike of lobster. I'm not going to die if I eat it. :D

Another place to consider for a special meal: La Tapa
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

We loved Extra Virgin as well but it is pricey like ZoZos. Not sure what king of cuisine everyone but we always go to Roma's. The pasta serving our large enough that we end up getting two meals for the price of one! the have the best hot Italian sausage.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

RE: Barges

My friend just waited for 2.5 hours to board a barge on St. John. The General (the largest currently running) is being worked on at the dock.

Barge status is day by day.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Just saw on facebook. down to one barge.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

We use to rent our jeep on St. Thomas but due to the barge concerns we started renting on St. John. I wonder if others have done the same?