Scary Sunscreen

Travel discussion for St. John
iheartsj

Scary Sunscreen

Post by iheartsj »

Something to consider when purchasing sunscreen for your St. John trip. We already know that Oxybenzone is killing the coral. This article talks about how harmful it is to humans. This stuff is scary.

http://www.collective-evolution.com/201 ... t-the-sun/

The best sunscreen is a hat and a rash guard.
Coconuts

Re: Scary Sunscreen

Post by Coconuts »

"The best sunscreen is a hat and a rash guard."
Or sea grapes... plus 70% of Americans are deficient in Vitamin D, which your skin makes abundantly in response to the UV in sunlight - unless you are wearing sunscreen.

All the best,

Kevin
RickG

Post by RickG »

Nano particle zinc and titanium dioxide are reported bad for reefs. What's left? Non-nano titanium dioxide works well. But, its also a tint for white paint. I have tried the "Stream2Sea Sunscreen for Body Sport SPF 30 " and it works pretty well, but goes on like Crisco mixed with white paint. With my big floppy hat and swim shirt, this old white guy does not have to look put together.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I wear a full length dive skin while snorkeling. They are not expensive. I think this is the one I have:

https://smile.amazon.com/NeoSport-Wetsu ... =dive+skin

I also wear a buff to protect my scalp. This means I only have to apply sunscreen to my face and the backs of my hands. I truly don't care if people think I look odd in my getup. I am pale and need the sun protection.

When I am not snorkeling you will find me in the shade of a seagrape tree with a big floppy hat on.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.