Making the 3pm RedHook Ferry....

Travel discussion for St. John
rpurkey

Making the 3pm RedHook Ferry....

Post by rpurkey »

We land on STT in 7 days (but who's counting?) at roughly 2pm.

I am taking the whole family (wife and 3 teenagers) for the first time. I had kind of resigned myself to the fact that I had no chance of making the 3pm ferry. However, this weekend I think I have them all convinced to pack light and all have individual carry-on's instead of having to check bags.

I have hired a private taxi. ASSuming he is waiting on us when we exit the airport, am I crazy to think we might can make the 3pm? Certainly not the end of the world if not because I think there is still a bar at the ferry dock! Thoughts appreciated.
burgec

Re: Making the 3pm RedHook Ferry....

Post by burgec »

Seems doable to me. Biggest hangup can be waiting for taxi to fill up or potential stops along the way but you have taken that out of the equation.

Also frequently our flight is early potentially giving you a couple extra minutes.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

I think there is a good chance that you can make the 3:00 ferry. I love the fact that you are doing carry-ons. It makes the process so much easier and quicker. But don't be in a rush. As soon as you land try to get into vacation mode. There are several restaurants in Redhook to eat if you miss the ferry. We usually plan on eating in Redhook before catching the ferry regardless.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I think you'd have to get very, very lucky to make the 3 pm ferry. It can easily take 15 minutes or more to get off the plane once it lands, so you're going to lose time just getting off the plane and making the walk to the taxi area. Taking a private taxi improves your chances since you won't have to wait for it to fill up or make stops, but I just checked and there are 3 cruise ships in port that day, so there will be traffic on STT.

If your plane lands early, that will improve your odds.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

I think you will make it especially if you do carry-ons only. Many times the flights are early and the ferry leaves late and with a private Taxi it should be a breeze. Tell your group to pack half as much and bring twice as much money...but you are the BOD(Bank of Dad)...so you bring the money in a separate carry on.

Bigcheeze/Dave

Enjoy the Journey
kklay

Post by kklay »

Bigcheese - another idea for the BOD is to ensure the clothes he is wearing on the plane has lots of pockets - preferably with snaps or zippers that way he can stuff all the pockets with all the money he is going to need! 8)