What's new in 2017?

Travel discussion for St. John
54b

What's new in 2017?

Post by 54b »

Hi there,

My wife and I are headed back to the Rock in June. It will be a year since our last visit. Just curious what's new? Any new restaurants? Any closings? I heard Tourist Trap shut down for good :(

Has the car barge situation gotten better? Can we make the 9:30am AA flight from STJ?

Just interested in any and all updates.

Thanks in advance.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
baseball0717

Re: What's new in 2017?

Post by baseball0717 »

54B Also going down in June . Great questions look forward to answers.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Howdy, Cory! Long time, no see.

Boyson was able to get the Mister B back so that has improved things. It's only been about a week though, so hopefully things continue going well with the car barge situation.

Are you trying to make a 9:30 flight taking the car barge or the people ferry? If American is still requiring folks to be checked in 3 hours early, neither option will get you there in time.

Yeah, I'm sad about the Tourist Trap. I was able to successfully eat gluten free there. I heard that Larry was going to Puerto Rico, but then I heard Florida, so I don't know where he landed.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

In three weeks I may be able to help with your question. 8)
I was sad to hear about the Tourist Trap. We had only eaten there once but it was a unique experience I will never forget. Hotdogs in Paradise. I also enjoyed there sunrise photos.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Let's see, I haven't seen it yet, but Love City Mini Market did an expansion. The Hansen Bay beach scene has some good energy. Sweet Plantains is now Skippers Brit Pub and forumite Augie (Steve) runs the Pub Quiz on Thursdays. The NPS Visitor's Center trash drop is now back by the apartment buildings. Last I heard, there was construction going on at Gibney/Oppenheimer and parking was restricted. Friends are still loving De Coal Pot restaurant in Cruz Bay for West Indian fare. Over on St. Thomas in Frenchtown, Frenchtown Brewing is doing a great job and they are now filling 32oz crowlers (can growlers) to go.

We ranged pretty far afield on De Life between St. Martin and Puerto Rico in the last year. St. John is still my favorite. We spent a week in January on the south side hiding from big winds and swell. Culebra is #2. On reflection, St. Thomas has stepped up the game for us between Christmas Cove, Abbi Beach Bar, Water Island, Lindberg Bay, Magens Bay from the water.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

I was initially a bit confused by your post when you referred to "the Rock". St. Thomas is know as Rock City. St. John is Love City.

Additional new things on Love City also include The Dog House Pub (formerly Castaways), Umami (formerly Sush!), Full Moon dinners at Mathayam (Windy Level), The Triple B for the best breakfast ever located inside the Oasis in Coral Bay. Grateful Grill BBQ food truck at Coral Bay overlook.

Things that are no more. X at Wharfside Village. The scooter rental place is gone also. Vie's on the East End has closed permanently.

Lot's of new places to try out.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

iheartsj wrote:Vie's on the East End has closed permanently.
Vie's snack shack or beach? Or both? I will miss her conch fritters if her snack shack has closed. :(

Thanks for the scoops.
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

iheartsj wrote:I was initially a bit confused by your post when you referred to "the Rock". St. Thomas is know as Rock City. St. John is Love City.
I agree! I hate people calling STT "The Rock". That was a crappy Nicolas Cage movie. :D anyway to each their own.
54b

Post by 54b »

So good to be back among the STJ friendlies...really appreciate the good intel.

Teresa, good to know about the barges and now I'm pretty convinced I better figure out another game plan on departure day. I may call AA just to see what's what because 2.5 hours should be enough, but rules are rules.

RickG, good info...the Gibney deal is perplexing. That's at 2x a trip beach for us. I'm going to have to get crafty, maybe drop my wife off at the gate with our stuff and park up a Peace Hill. I will not be denied :)

iheartsj...good stuff, we're staying in Coral Bay, so I'll make it a point to hit up Triple B...we drove by last June, but didn't have cash.

As for calling STJ, "the Rock," I have no idea where that came from but I've been calling it that and seen others refer to it that way since I started posting here like 8 years ago. Didn't know STT was called Rock City and I thought Cruz Bay was Love City, not STJ as a whole. But who knows. STJ works for me.

Chicagoans, Vie's was one of our faves for years. That fried chicken, those conch fritters and Johnny Cakes was the best. I consider Vie and Larry from Tourist Trap to be quintessential STJ. A week on STJ just won't be the same without those places.

Thanks again for all the info.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

To answer Chicagoans.

Both Vie's Snack Shop and the beach directly across the road are closed.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Just got back yesterday. Gibney was open for visitors all but one day that we went by. The swell was up for most of our trip so we did not visit this time.

Restaurant stuff not mentioned yet: Aqua Bistro has a new chef and new menu and it is an improvement in my opinion. There is a new food truck parked at the Coral Bay overlook called Grateful Grill serving pulled pork and chicken, ribs, and a few other things. There is Indian food at Tamarind Court on Mondays. Vista Mare is still closed for renovations and does not look like it is reopening any time soon. Island Cork moved from behind Mongoose to Wharfside and is much expanded and selling cheese, meats and sandwiches. There are wine tastings and I heard eventually there will be cafe style seating. Beach Bar now has picnic tables set up on the beach with wait service. You still order at the bar but they will bring your food and drinks down to the beach and there are waitstaff on the beach to take additional drink orders.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

54b wrote:So good to be back among the STJ friendlies...really appreciate the good intel.

Teresa, good to know about the barges and now I'm pretty convinced I better figure out another game plan on departure day. I may call AA just to see what's what because 2.5 hours should be enough, but rules are rules.

RickG, good info...the Gibney deal is perplexing. That's at 2x a trip beach for us. I'm going to have to get crafty, maybe drop my wife off at the gate with our stuff and park up a Peace Hill. I will not be denied :)

iheartsj...good stuff, we're staying in Coral Bay, so I'll make it a point to hit up Triple B...we drove by last June, but didn't have cash.

As for calling STJ, "the Rock," I have no idea where that came from but I've been calling it that and seen others refer to it that way since I started posting here like 8 years ago. Didn't know STT was called Rock City and I thought Cruz Bay was Love City, not STJ as a whole. But who knows. STJ works for me.

Chicagoans, Vie's was one of our faves for years. That fried chicken, those conch fritters and Johnny Cakes was the best. I consider Vie and Larry from Tourist Trap to be quintessential STJ. A week on STJ just won't be the same without those places.

I don't know for certain that this is still the case, but in the past, the agents who work check in at American are contractors and they leave the check in area 3 hours prior to go work the gate area. I've heard stories of people being in line more than 3 hours in advance, but still being turned away because they were still in line at the 3 hour mark. You'd think you would be in the clear if you didn't check baggage and did online check in, but apparently the AA website doesn't always let you check in to STT online. Unless things have changed, it's basically a crapshoot.

I've also heard STJ referred to as "the rock" for many years, including by longtime STJ residents.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

54b wrote:So good to be back among the STJ friendlies...really appreciate the good intel.

We all have one name in common for STJ - Heaven on Earth!! Just teasing about The Rock comment though I really hated that movie! :)
sasky

What's new in 2017?

Post by sasky »

54b wrote:
I went last Sunday afternoon and it was fine. There were signs of an active construction project going on at the beach but the parking situation was the same as usual. And the construction did not hinder the beautiful beach experience! Although the tide was higher than usual this trip.

I noticed on Monday and Tuesday the gate was open all day and nobody parked in the usual spots. I'm thinking maybe the construction on weekdays is affecting the parking situation. So you may want to plan that one for a Saturday or Sunday.

That's just an assumption based on my observations so don't hold me to that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ArkieLovesSTJ

Post by ArkieLovesSTJ »

I am not sure of the status, but WharfSide is/was getting a face lift.