trip report feb. 28-march10

Travel discussion for St. John
david@va.beach

trip report feb. 28-march10

Post by david@va.beach »

Just got back from our annual trip to stj! It was breezy and cool at night with some sporadic rain events. that said, the island was very green and beautiful. We stayed on our lot in coral bay up the hill from Skinny Legs.

Rented our jeep this year from Conrad Sutton..in spite of the bad press he has received from some we had no problems at all. We did a lot of exploring and tried not to get seduced into staying put and just taking in the view of poppilou bay and hurricane hole.

Went to lameshur, yeah the road is mostly ponds separated by occational humps of dry land..The beach was great it has a place to grill and 'bathroom facillities'.It's always goodd to get those framed pics thru the windows of the ruins there.

Skinny legs for our first meal is a rittual for us ..We split the blue cheese burger and were glad we did..Skinnies has been really 'discoverred and was so crowded the next few times we visited that we went to Pickles and Oasis instead. They actually had tour busses from the westin..oh well..

Monday afternoon is open mike at Concordia and met up with our niece fron stt. Really tallented musicians the food was great and the views are always beautiful. Get there before 4 parking is slim.

Cinnamon bay was as rough as we could remember no beach just waves and wind. The little museum had some interesting exhibits.

haulover south is our favorite..the drive alone is an experience in itself unfortunantly the roads on the east end have really gone to hell there are big deep pot holes everywhere.

Vies sadly is still closed but there is a group closer to sloop jones who is trying to gt something going.

The chicken poppulation has exploded in coral bay! little chicks everywhere and of course the roosters have to tell you about themselves even at odd hours at night the one on our street sounded like his battery had worn down a little and was just making an effort..

Well my writing skills were never good and I'm not computer literate enough to post the always beautiful pictures but St. john still has the magic and we'll probably come back this summer.
RicksFormula

Re: trip report feb. 28-march10

Post by RicksFormula »

thanks for the trip report, we go in 4 weeks so glad to hear the island is looking green and still some cool nights! Can't wait to get there and see it in person, we are staying in the Great Cruz Bay area this time.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

I never knew about the tour buses from Westin that go to Skinny Legs. I guess I've failed to pay attention... or do you think that is a high-season thing? We only visit St. John in off-season.

Your battery-downed rooster made me giggle. I could almost hear him (trying). Thank you for your trip report!
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Skinny Legs being discovered?? :shock: STJ has been discovered for years now and the internet amplifies that a hundredfold. :lol:
I had lunch at Caneel Bay on Monday and was fortunate to get a table!
The parking lot was crammed with shiny rental jeeps and the clientele resembled Walmart fashionistas.
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

Even at Caneel? Dreadfull, simply dreadfull! Perhaps they should raise their rates..
msfcambridge

Post by msfcambridge »

Whoa - nobody that loves the peace of STJ is a fan of annoying crowds but it's not cool to have an elitist attitude either.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Exit Zero wrote:Skinny Legs being discovered?? :shock: STJ has been discovered for years now and the internet amplifies that a hundredfold. :lol:
I had lunch at Caneel Bay on Monday and was fortunate to get a table!
The parking lot was crammed with shiny rental jeeps and the clientele resembled Walmart fashionistas.
That is pretty mean spirited Exit Zero. Locals make fun of people who dress up for dinner with heels and jewelry etc., and then also make fun of people who dress down for a day at the beach. That's what lunch at the Caneel Beach Terrace is for people staying there--a casual lunch as a break from hanging out on the beach. I also had lunch at Caneel on Monday, and did not notice the things that seem to have bothered you--but I was upstairs on the terrace, with no dining neighbors. Maybe I was there earlier than you. It's a nice place to have lunch if you can get one of the shady spots. The yellowtail koi is my favorite.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Nothing in the parking lot or the dining room 'bothered' me, was just surprised at the crowd, just as the OP was surprised at Skinny Legs. My observations were not elitist or meant to be mean spirited, -- but likely unneeded commentary.
Lunch with my companions was excellent - attentive service and the sushi and special were absolutely delicious - the wines available by the glass were well selected and I enjoyed the whole experience there as always. I did feel fortunate to get a table but would have gladly waited at the bar.