New Ferries

Travel discussion for St. John
hoosierdaddy

New Ferries

Post by hoosierdaddy »

On our last trip 2 years ago we rode in one of the new ferries. When I look at the Spice Cam they are always parked. Do they ever get used? What is the problem with them?
gmanka

Re: New Ferries

Post by gmanka »

Just returned from 2 weeks on STJ and can report that the new ferries are up and running daily. Since they are faster they are at the dock longer between runs.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

sometimes they run. sometimes they don't. Both were broken for a long time.
There is no rhyme or reason to it. I

If it doesn't make sense, you are in the Virgin Islands.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Wow, this was just posted on the St. John Tradewinds FB page. I couldn't figure out how to link to the post, so here is a copy and paste.

St. John Tradewinds
Page Liked · 2 hrs ·

BOTH AT ONCE -- An attorney representing Varlack Ventures and Transportation Services of St. John told officials at the Public Services Commission Tuesday that both the Red Hook I and the Cruz Bay I developed identical mechanical problems at the same time.
These are the two new vessels supplied to each of the franchised ferry service providers by the Department of Public Works about two years ago.
The question at the time posed by the regulator was "Are the new ferry boats in operation?"
The answer was partial -- one is, one isn't. The repairs are expensive. The government is not willing to pay.
It's highly unlikely both vessels would develop the same problems at the same time, said attorney Maria Tankenson Hodge.

Which led PSC commissioner Raymond Williams to ask, "So, we bought a lemon?"

Two, maybe?
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

They would have been wise to buy the extended warranty. :lol:
jake

Post by jake »

Last year one of the captains said both portside engines/drives failed. One was repaired and back in service in January of this year, the other is still sitting. Not sure why it isn't a warranty issue, but...
Jake