Polar Bear Cooler

Travel discussion for St. John
Timo

Polar Bear Cooler

Post by Timo »

I have a question,
Heading down the end of next month with 7 adults and we were going to bring our Polar Bear 24 pack with food for the week. We are a family of foodies and are planning on bringing steaks, rack of lamb, chicken and a bunch other items. In the past, I've always just carried on my 24PB but, thinking of sizing up to a PB48 which, filled, don't think will be OK size wise for carry on and don't want to carry with weight. Read past posts that folks have checked in their PB48 either buy themselves or inside another piece of luggage. How do they hold up checking in solo? They are built really well and seem like they would be OK holding up to baggage handlers. Concerned a bit with the bag sitting in luggage cart on a hot tarmac even though contents are frozen solid. Has anyone ever had someone swipe their food from one?
Thanks!!
Timo
Ron in South Texas

Re: Polar Bear Cooler

Post by Ron in South Texas »

I always put mine in a suitcase or duffle. I dont trust baggage handlers with my polar bear. I'm always afraid that it will "get lost" and the suitcase provides an extra layer of security.
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

We have checked our 48 can Polar Bear many times and it still looks brand new. That thing is built like a tank! During that same period (on the exact same trips), we've had two suitcases bite the dust. One of the suitcases was brand new and only lasted two trips.

If you do just meat, you'll reach the 50 lb limit for a checked bag before the 48 can is full (unless your airline is only 40 lbs, then you'll definitely meet it). We do a combination of meat, butter, cheese, half and half, etc., and we fill it as full as possible and get within a couple pounds of 50 lbs, sometimes a little over so we have to be careful.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
kklay

Post by kklay »

We have had issues in the past with packing food and then being over 50 lbs - but we always weigh our bags before leaving for the airport! I have seen many people get to the airport and start pulling out lots of stuff from their "to be checked" luggage trying to stuff it in a beach bag to carry on. It really holds up the line!! 8)
mark & susan

Post by mark & susan »

Just a note since this thread popped up. We have used PB coolers for each trip - actually put the entire cooler packed in freezer the night before. Add cheese in the AM and still ice cold 12 hours later. Note on door to not forget it at 4 AM!

Just last week I contacted PB cooler about one of our three year old coolers that the zipper had broken on.

Quick response from the owner - got a brand new cooler two days later! I only had to pay shipping of $14 as it was over a year old. Great warranty service.

And they have upped their game in the last few years - the one I received has a more robust zipper than the old one...
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I pack my polar bear cooler on a scale to be sure I don't go over the weight limit. I have one of every size plus the backpack. The largest cooler is as old as dirt and has been on at least 20 trips flying plus uncountable road trips. I don't pack it into another bag, and it 's still holding up fine. The zipper's getting a little stiff so I might need to break down and replace it soon. The large one is too big to take to the beach in my opinion, so we carry the 24-can and the backpack to the beach.

Buy some techni ice for your polar bear and your food will most definitely stay frozen. For us, it is at least 14 hours door to door in off season (no direct flights then) and I have never had an issue with food thawing.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.