Ferry day trip to Tortola or JVD?

Travel discussion for St. John
krislbi

Ferry day trip to Tortola or JVD?

Post by krislbi »

Hi all-
Wanted to do something a little different and take a ferry to either Jost or Tortola for the day. Any recommendations or tips? It will be me, husband and two kids10 and 12 so while we aren't opposed to hitting a beach bar we obviously don't want that to be the only purpose of our day (I.e. Don't want to hang at soggy dollar all day with our kids).
Thanks in advance!
54b

Re: Ferry day trip to Tortola or JVD?

Post by 54b »

Never spent much time on Tortola, but if I had a 12 and 10 year old and was going to Jost via the ferry, I'd head right to White Bay when we got off the ferry in Great Harbor (about 9:30am) and take the cab over the hill. Soggy Dollar was pretty calm in the morning the last time we were there and didn't really live up to its reputation until about 2 or 3pm. You could hang out at Soggy's, have a few cocktails with no lines, let your kids play the ring toss game, lay in the hammocks, play in the surf, etc. Then you could explore the beach, maybe walk over to Ivans campground until about 12:30pm. Then you could go back over the hill for lunch at Foxxy's and have some fun walking around great Harbor or take a cab to the blowhole (though I'd research this first as I've heard it can sometimes be dangerous under certain conditions). After that, you hop back on the ferry around 3pm I think and back to STJ. (Just don't be late for the ferry, I do remember it leaves on time and if you miss it, you're spending the night on JVD).

Hope that helps. Also, have you considered a group charter like Bad Kitty. It'll end up costing double the amount you'd spend doing the ferry route, but it's way cheaper than a private charter and it's a packed day (Virgin Gorda for the Baths, snorkeling the indians, lunch at Soper's hole, and an hour or so at Jost). Our friends took their 12 year old on it last year and she had a blast.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

I would agree. We did JVD with teens. It is a beautiful beach and we didn't see anything we didn't want our kids to see. We are not drinkers. At the end of the day we walked around Great Harbor and looked around the few shops there.
Suziekue

Post by Suziekue »

I agree too, we didn't have kids with us but a couple years ago my sister & I took the ferry to Jost. We taxied over to White Bay, had breakfast at Soggy's enjoyed the beach for a few hours then that afternoon we went to Foxy's for a little lunch and enjoyed Great Harbor until it was time to ferry back. Everything was fine & appropriate for a family.
Soarin' with the eagles all week long, and this is all that we've learned about living - VACATION!

RickG

Post by RickG »

There is a lot to see on Tortola and you can rent a car and tour the island. A great loop is to head up the north shore and hit beaches. Sage Mountain gives an impressive view and an interesting walk. Its a big island with a lot to see.

Jost options look like White Bay, Great Harbor, Little Harbor and Diamond Cay/Foxy's Taboo. You can rent a car there too or taxi. There is hiking from White Bay. Diamond Cay has the Bubbly Pool trail (bubbles depend on time of year) and, well, Diamond Cay. Its a small island with a lot less to see.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI