Fresh Produce?

Travel discussion for St. John
SuefromMA

Fresh Produce?

Post by SuefromMA »

Where is the best place to buy fresh produce - like Cantaloupe, Pineapple, bananas, grapes, apples? The produce at Starfish Market NEVER look appealing. We will be staying on Ajax Peak, so places in either Cruz Bay or Coral Bay will work for us.
Thanks!
kklay

Re: Fresh Produce?

Post by kklay »

We really like Dolphin Market for fresh produce. I've heard St. John Market is good too.
54b

Post by 54b »

I've never noticed much difference between Dophin, Starfish and STJ Market when it comes to overall quality and freshness of produce but I have noticed a big difference depending on which day of the week you go.

Don't quote me on this, but I think I recall being told that a lot of deliveries to the markets are made late on Mondays and therefore, Tuesday is the best day to go and that's when a lot of the locals go shopping. But that may not be correct.

Hopefully someone with better knowledge than me will chime in because I do think which day you go makes a difference.

UPDATE: I found a blog article from a woman who lives on STT. In it she says she goes on Mondays because most STT grocery stores get shipments on Sundays. And I would assume most of what STJ gets comes over from STT, so that would lend credence to the idea that there's a lag of a day from when STT gets it and Tuesdays could possibly be the best day on STJ to go shopping. Speculative to be sure, but here's the article:

http://womenwholiveonrocks.com/how-i-no ... s-as-more/
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

There is a woman who sets up in front of Connections Cruz Bay most days who sells fruit. She typically has bananas, pineapples, mangoes (a few kinds), papayas, plus avocadoes and maybe a few more things I am forgetting. She also sells hot sauces and spicy peppers. In the summer she has genips. I have always been pleased with my purchases.

You might also want to stop by Josephine's farm. I have purchased soursops from her in the past. They make tasty tropical drinks :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
RickG

Post by RickG »

liamsaunt mentioned the two spots I hit. We hit Josephine's multiple times per visit for bags of fresh greens and whatever is in season.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

I've never figured out how to get to Josephine's yet . But think I would give it a try. :D
" I believe there's Magic here...."
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

philbetm wrote:I've never figured out how to get to Josephine's yet . But think I would give it a try. :D
It's easy! After turning right into Coral Bay you will come to an area where Pickles is on your right, Love City Mini Mart is ahead of you, and a left turn brings you to Aqua Bistro/Shipwreck Landing. Just keep going straight, past Love City Mini Mart--which will be on your right--and drive up the wide, flat road. It's a little bumpy from time to time but nothing bad. Just keep driving longer than you think you should. Eventually you will see some wire fencing on your left and a lot of plants. Keep going and you will see a structure with a Coral Bay Organic Gardens sign on it. There are refrigerators in there, and baskets of fruits and vegetables.

Someone is there to weigh everything for you, and you can get stuff that's not for sale at the markets. I bought delicious water spinach there last summer. Cash only FYI
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

If you want fresh produce, go with that which is grown in the tropics. Pineapple, Mango, Star Fruit, Sugar Apple (my fav), Avocado. These are sold at stands in the park or next to Connections in Cruz Bay. On 2nd Saturday, a St. Thomas farmer sets up his stand in Coral Bay by the church.

Here are directions to Josephine's for FRESH lettuce, string beans, etc. When you get to the first intersection in Coral Bay (pink restaurant at corner) turn Right. Go past Pickles. At the dumpsters, turn Right onto King Hill Road. Go past Love City Mini Mart on the right side of road and continue until you see the garden center on the left side of the road.

If you want oranges, apples, grapes, bring them with you. None of that type of fruit is fresh here. I find most oranges tasteless.
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Thank you all for the great suggestions....
(I'm just posting to see my ticker...LOL)
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

Tuesdays are usually the best day to get produce because, yes, we generally do get our shipments late Monday or early Tuesday. (barring any freight issues that is) The prices at Dolphin and St. John markets are usually considerably lower than Starfish. Starfish has a sales flyer that is available online so you can check that out www.starfishmarket.com They usually have several items on their flyer that are a good deal. I usually only shop there if they have it on sale because they are so much more pricey than the other stores.
sloopjones

Post by sloopjones »

Josephine's Coral Bay, Pink corner Coral Bay, Every other Saturday Mr. Leonard in front of Moravian Church Coral Bay.
do you believe what you see or see what you believe
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Embarrassed to say that we just went the "easy route". We ended up just getting a really nice container of Fruit Salad from North Shore Deli in Mongoose Junction. Just the perfect amount for us to have with breakfast each day... Not to mention "having" to buy a couple of pieces of banana bread from there. So thick that I had to cut them in half lengthwise in order to grill them to warm them up. Actually got 2 meals out of the two pieces. That place is dangerous...!!! Much will power is needed when you walk through those doors!!
Another dangerous place is "Pickles in Paradise" in Coral Bay. What a find that place is!! I had probably the most delicious cinnamon roll that I have ever had. And my husband had "no doubt" that he had the most delicious blueberry muffin that he has ever had...