Harbor Cam
Virgin Islands Webcams

Bolongo Bay

Thief at Solomon Bay

Travel discussion for St. John

Moderator: The Mgmt.

Thief at Solomon Bay

Postby hoosierdaddy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:03 am

The incident happened on the last day of our trip. We had been at Solomon Bay for a couple of hours when I had decided to walk the beach. I walked alone and left my wife and 17 year old daughter with our stuff. As I was returning I saw my family turned and looking into the vegetation. There was some concern on their faces. They then proceeded to explain what had happened.

As they were sitting there my daughter had noticed some movement behind her. As she turned she saw a bag of chips being pulled into the underbrush. I moved toward the bag that was now motionless. Soon I was within 5 feet of the perpetrator. I was staring into the eyes of the cutest mongoose I had ever seen. Then he was gone.

We learned a lesson that day. One we will never forget. Even cute thieves are still thieves. :lol:
hoosierdaddy

Re: Thief at Solomon Bay

Postby jimg20 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:15 am

One snorkeler claimed that he stood in the water at Little Lamshure and watched a mongoose open the zipper on his small cooler and take his sandwich. :shock:

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

jimg20

Postby hoosierdaddy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:29 am

jimg20 wrote:One snorkeler claimed that he stood in the water at Little Lamshure and watched a mongoose open the zipper on his small cooler and take his sandwich. :shock:

JIM

I hear they are crafty. Our bag of chips were actually inside of another bag.
hoosierdaddy

Postby 54b » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:53 am

Haha, very nice...and it brings back a very similar run-in we had with another type of thief at Solomon...

WIFE: "What are you doing, you're just going to let him take it?"

ME: "Yes, yes I am."

WIFE: "You didn't let the mongoose take it."

ME: "The iguana gets what the iguana wants."
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
54b

Postby loria » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:21 pm

on a more serious note -- people snorkeling at haulover had their car broken into last week (it was locked -- the person appeared to have a master key as there was no damage ) - and all the cash was removed from wallets left inside (shouldn't leave wallets... ) .....

so do be careful with your stuff
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
loria

Postby PA Girl » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:59 am

hoosierdaddy wrote:
jimg20 wrote:One snorkeler claimed that he stood in the water at Little Lamshure and watched a mongoose open the zipper on his small cooler and take his sandwich. :shock:

JIM

I hear they are crafty. Our bag of chips were actually inside of another bag.

When our son was 4yo, we were at Caneel and spent a fun half hour on the balcony watching a mongoose carefully pick thru our rooms service tray. No doubt they could work a zipper.
PA Girl

Postby KatieH » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:57 pm

We also have a Solomon thievery incident from January. After a snorkel for some, and a nap for others, I discovered my $8.49 apple had been the object of desire of another. I suspect it was a Pearly Eyed Thrasher.
KatieH
I will drink no wine until it's in my glass.
KatieH

Postby shoemak38 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:40 pm

JIM

for us it was at waterlemon :D
shoemak38

Postby awardb » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:18 pm

We have been in the water at Little Lameshur, and watched an entire Mongoose family take practically an entire lunch, chips, sandwiches and more and run off into the vegetation. Unbelievable! Not OUR lunch, mind you.....
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
awardb

Return to U.S. Virgin Islands Travel Forum: St. John