Favorite Change

Travel discussion for St. John
hoosierdaddy

Favorite Change

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Inspired by Drumbiker's question as to what has changed since their last trip 8 years ago, I wondered which changes to the island have you most enjoyed since your first trip. I know many people do not want any change to take place and loath anything that is different about "their island", but change is inevitable so lets embrace the change and decide what change has been the best.
SuefromMA

Re: Favorite Change

Post by SuefromMA »

I'll bite....
I'd say ZoZo's change of location from Gallows Point to Caneel has been a "good" change. Bar dining at Gallows was neat. But, we MUCH prefer the romantic ambiance of the open air dining along the rail at Caneel in the old "Equator" restaurant location. Just seeing all that stonework of the ruins, truly make it a magical night - along with the sunset, donkeys and deer! And great food. But, "that" has not changed..
Nancie-Pa

Post by Nancie-Pa »

I like all the seating on the beach in front of the Wharfside bars/restaurants. :)
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

A bit different perspective since I live here, but for me, the roundabout. I could not stand that crazy intersection prior to the roundabout. You had to be so aggressive to get through it. Took people awhile to get the hang of it, but it has eased congestion and the question of 'who goes next' is a heck of a lot easier to figure out.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

stjohnjulie wrote:A bit different perspective since I live here, but for me, the roundabout. I could not stand that crazy intersection prior to the roundabout. You had to be so aggressive to get through it. Took people awhile to get the hang of it, but it has eased congestion and the question of 'who goes next' is a heck of a lot easier to figure out.
Its funny because its my favorite change also and I am only on island once a week every two years. I have never been scared to drive on St. John but that intersection was crazy.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

stjohnjulie wrote:A bit different perspective since I live here, but for me, the roundabout. I could not stand that crazy intersection prior to the roundabout. You had to be so aggressive to get through it. Took people awhile to get the hang of it, but it has eased congestion and the question of 'who goes next' is a heck of a lot easier to figure out.
Its funny because its my favorite change also and I am only on island once a week every two years. I have never been scared to drive on St. John but that intersection was crazy.
54b

Post by 54b »

Big fan of the roundabout too...I do like the semi-new paved approach to Francis Bay too. Normally wouldn't be in favor of more concrete on STJ, but I think that helped.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
RickG

Post by RickG »

Parking lot improvements on North Shore road at Hawksnest, Cinnamon, Maho and Francis. Centerline road is no longer falling down the hill, as much. Pay parking lots in Cruz Bay and parking lot at Enighed Pond.

What hasn't changed is more important. The National Park continues to distinguish St. John from other islands in the USVI, BVI, PR/SVI and south down the chain. The more we see the more we agree that St. John is still the best. Thanks NPS.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I will go with Zozo's at Caneel. At first, I thought it was a terrible idea. The Equator was a sentimental favorite from our early STJ years but in hindsight, it needed to new life. While we loved the old Zozo's, the option of going down to the Beach Terrace for a sunset drink and then up to Zozo's for dinner makes for a great evening.
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Another "agree" on Zozo's..... although we do miss dining at their previous upstairs bar at Gallows, the new location/atmosphere can't be beat!
Extra Virgin is a really nice dining addition in Cruz Bay..... IMO the best in Cruz Bay (with La Tapa a close 2nd).
Image[/url]
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

Finally being able to afford a home to rent in Peter Bay this year! :D Seriously though I would say the parking lots downtown and the roundabout.
Chris @ Work

Post by Chris @ Work »

#1. Remembering the North Shore road conditions in early 80's, paved and maintained roads
#2. Roundabout
#3. ZoZo's relocation

We have never gone during high season so parking has never been a real issue. To be honest, the move to eliminate free in favor of fee parking is less inviting.
[/url]