Cruz Bay options

Travel discussion for St. John
msfcambridge

Cruz Bay options

Post by msfcambridge »

We have been back 5 days and are planning our return. :D We love the Coral Bay side and ususally make our home base at a villa there. However, we'd like to like to give Cruz Bay a try next time to be closer to more dining options within walking distance or a very quick ride. Any recommendations? It's just the two of us and we're open to Grande Bay but tend to lean toward a villa. Thanks!
philbetm

Re: Cruz Bay options

Post by philbetm »

If you are up for a short ride...check out Sopre Mare and Bordo Mare owned by Mike Mullen ( Mully) . Also we have stayed at a Penthouse unit in Grande Bay 1 time and loved how easy it is to walk everywhere. Also guaranteed parking in the garage area ! But know that it can be a little noisy until late in the night depending on which bar has live music.

Sherry :)
" I believe there's Magic here...."
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

We stayed in villas for our first four trips and enjoyed them, but our last 2 trips have been at Grand Bay. We really love being able to walk to the restaurants and shops in Cruz Bay. We were at Grand Bay three weeks ago and we love being able to hear the music from the beach bar when we were sitting on our balcony at night. We never heard a thing when we had our door closed.
Taghan

Post by Taghan »

We just returned recently from a stay at Grande Bay and you cannot beat the convenience factor! Being able to park in the garage and not have to deal with parking downtown made it so easy!! Grande Bay is super clean and I was impressed with our stay. Yes, you can hear the nighttime happenings at the Beach Bar, but it didn't bother us a bit (and we were in the building closest to that end). I would stay at GB again for sure!
msfcambridge

Post by msfcambridge »

Thanks to all for the info! Looks like that might be the way to go.
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

If you are considering Grande Bay, then I would also highly suggest that you take a look at Gallows Point. Beautiful spacious individually owned/upgraded condos just a 2 minute walk up the small hill from GB. Beautiful grounds and awesome views, right on the water, and with surprisingly good snorkeling right there. It is the only place my wife and I have stayed (6X in the past 7 years). I recommend the upper ocean units, buildings 1-4 (our last 2 stays were in 4C). Take a look. The link below is their official website (not to be confused with the units that Suite St John owns/rents with a similar-looking website). Enjoy!
http://www.gallowspointresort.com/index.php
Image[/url]
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

Just to add something to the mix, take a look at Sunset Ridge Villas. It is a timeshare above Sirenusa that may have units for rent depending on the time of year you want to come. It is only 6 units and each unit consists of two buildings with a lot of private open air space between them. The views and sunsets can be spectacular.

http://sunsetridgevillas.com/index.shtml

They have a webcam to check out the views:

http://sunsetridgevillas.com/SRVrightNow.shtml

To be completely transparent, we're owners.
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

We have stayed at Gallows point and loved and we have stayed at Cruz View Villas and like it. Here is the link to unit we stayed in during 9/11 and then my son honeymooned in this same unit. It has been redone and looks great.

https://www.vrbo.com/380848

Pulley
msfcambridge

Post by msfcambridge »

thank you! will check out all these options.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

There are many, many villa options for 2 people on the Cruz Bay side. What amenities to you want, and what's your preferred budget?
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
msfcambridge

Post by msfcambridge »

Our budget is about 2,100-2,300 ish. Privacy is important and we appreciate hearing nature versus loud partying noise. A well equipped kitchen so we can make some of our meals, and a dipping pool. Obviously we would appreciate a balcony or deck with views and breezes. Whether it's a villa or condo it has to be somewhat updated but very clean. The last place we rented was spotless and there were no lingering no see-ums and mosquitoes waiting for a buffet. :D