Public Transportation to Ferry Docks

Travel discussion for St. John
Drumbiker

Public Transportation to Ferry Docks

Post by Drumbiker »

So, 8 years ago - we took a bus (more like an open air trolley) from the Airport to Red Hook. Is this still a possibility? We have 6 adults. 4 have never been to St. Thomas or STJ - my thought was to use this experience to show them how much different STT is to STJ....

Also thinking of just taking public transportation to C. Amalie dock (if that's an option), because if I recall correctly the time is pretty much "6 of one...". Either more time in the bus and less on the ferry or vice versa, right?

I don't feel the need for a private driver for such a short trip - but anybody know the average taxi cost to both docks from the airport?

Getting all my ducks in a row.....can't wait to get there!
Counting down the minutes.....
Exit Zero

Re: Public Transportation to Ferry Docks

Post by Exit Zero »

I don't think there are any of the open air 'safari bus' type transports as part of the airport taxi concession - there is no safe place for any luggage on them really anyway - you could ask the dispatcher at the airport if it is possible.
Suziekue

Post by Suziekue »

Another consideration is that the CA ferry doesn't always run on a set schedule so you'll want to be sure what days and times it is going these days. I agree with Exit Zero too, haven't seen safari trucks at the airport it's usually large vans. You might be able to arrange a private taxi with a little island tour in route to Redhook though.
Soarin' with the eagles all week long, and this is all that we've learned about living - VACATION!

Drumbiker

Post by Drumbiker »

Well, it has been 8 years - but I think what we took was considered just the regular public "Bus". You're correct - there was no place for luggage and we kept our bags between our feet. I also remember being a little uncomfortable with some of the looks we got from the locals...

But, just to be clear - it should be easy for a group of 6 to get a van at the airport without pre-arranging it, correct? What should be expect to pay, roughly?
gmanka

Post by gmanka »

With that number of people, if renting a vehicle consider renting on St. Thomas and taking the car ferry. With 6 people and luggage the tab will be over $100 just to Red Hook and then the ferry to STJ $60 or so. Versus renting on STT, driving to Red Hook and spending $25 for the car ferry total.
Drumbiker

Post by Drumbiker »

We've already got Jeeps reserved through the folks at Summerwind on STJ, unfortunately.
Drumbiker

Post by Drumbiker »

Replying to see my ticker that I can't seem to fix....
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

You will have no trouble finding a taxi when you get to the airport. Most of the taxis are actually vans. They will take care of you and it will be easy. You just walk out of the baggage area and you will see them. You probably wont even have to ask for help, they will ask you if you need a taxi. Just tell them how many people you have and where you are going.
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

Don't forget......twice the $$ and half the luggage..Enjoy your trip!!
Drumbiker

Post by Drumbiker »

david@va - we've got a washer and dryer at Summerwind - if I wasn't bringing a snorkel mask and my satellite radio boom box, I'd only be packing a backpack!
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

If it is not a busy cruise ship day you may be able to charter one of the safari trucks that usually do sightseeing trips for the ships.
There are quite a few mentioned on 'cruisecritic' forum for st thomas -- you could call them and ask.
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

satelite radio is an excellent accesory on stj..imo