been a while!

Travel discussion for St. John
surfnh

Re: been a while!

Post by surfnh »

Heading home today, was s great trip....some quick feedback items...

Day trip to BVI highlight as usual, ate at pirates bight very nice. Snorkeled Indians, and also west side of the bight, first time checking that part of the harbor out, excellent snorkel. Used Born to Rhumb, Ben did an excellent job. Then Sandy Spit, Foxys, White Bay, excellent.
Loved Longboards for dinner, excellent meal and good drinks.
A bit disappointed by Aqua Bistro, drinks extremely weak, Mahi dry, this was always a fav place for us.
Ended 3 nights at Skinnys, man their drinks are great, mahi sandwiches moist and perfect, huge Greek salads, price is right. Surprised at how uncrowded it was there??
Fav snorkels.....waterlemon, out Francis Bay around Mary's Point, middle of Salt Pond at the reef in middle of bay. Yawzi was disappointing this year. Francis was great, saw 2 spotted morays, a lobster, nurse sharks, tins of turtles, rays, you name it. Also, 2nd snorkel at waterlemon early yesterday was fabulous, no currents, crystal clear water, lots of sea life, no one else there.
After traveling a bunch, the lack of litter is impressive compared to others locations.
Trunk still blows our minds. Floating there and looking up at the hills and palms is shrinking, no homes, just great.

Last word, the humidity started getting to us by yesterday. Ixora has no a/c, great breezes up there, but a dry bed and towels, dry clothes, would be really nice.

Guess we need to come back, really forgot how special this place is.
Sorry for typos on my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

Oh my lots of typos but you get the idea.

BreakawayBarb

Post by BreakawayBarb »

Thank you, SurfNH, for the terrific report. My hubby and I return in December, and haven't been back in 5 years. Since then we've been to Kauai twice, Tulum, Maui and Puerto Vallarta. It will be fun to see how STJ stacks up. I believe I know the answer. ;-)
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

surfnh wrote:Oh my lots of typos but you get the idea.

:D :D :D :D :D
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

some more feedback....

Really liked end of May, much less crowded beaches and restaurants.
Bugs were terrible.....didn't matter what you used....our son's girlfriend layered herself with bug spray....my wife takes B vitamins like crazy for a month ahead, didn't matter, they all got more bites than me....and I used no spray, but I was itching like crazy. Probably worst experience ever with bugs. So far no Zika nor Dengue.

I only shared panoramic pics on my Facebook account.....I can try sharing them here, bear with me, need to remember how to do it.....
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

oh man, I can't remember how to do this, and I can't find a FAQ on it. Can someone please explain how to upload picture files here? I recall they need to be posted on Google Pics or something like that, and I use the URL from that shared file, but it doesn't seem to work??

thanks ahead....
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

I wish I could help on pics. I can do them from my iPhone using tiny pic. I tried to use tiny pic on my computer but didn't have much luck. I remember in the past I had used photo bucket but have forgotten how.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Upload your photos to a photo-hosting site. I've never used Google Photos or TinyPic. I use Flickr - I copy the BBCode of the photo that I want to post and paste it into the forum.

This seems to be another way (doesn't require the use of photo-hosting site) but I have never personally tried it:
http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... 979&hilit=
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

Might be able to upload via Tapatalk, will try....

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201706 ... a8d207.jpg[/img]

surfnh

Post by surfnh »

Well that stinks, I can see the pic on my Tapatalk app, but not on the actual web site on my iPad??
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

Pickle.....yes I actually did try that instruction link you gave, this past weekend. It seems the software has changed, because the options mentioned in the link don't seem to show up or work the same now on my Mac. Man, they don't make this easy, but I'm sure someone out there knows how to do it!
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

A.B.jpg
Hmm, I just tried by using "Upload attachment" and it works with my (elderly) Mac. Hmmm, I think I may go to my kitchen (bar).
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

those drinks look good on a hot day!

I'm sorry.....was hoping to post a bunch of my panoramic pics of our favorite spots, but I just can't figure this out. This is crazy, I'm a flippin engineer! :)

I've tried uploading from Tapatalk, that works only on my iPhone, can't view the pic on my Mac. I've tried the same thing you are doing Pickle, on my Mac, I can pick a photo file to upload, and when I hit upload it doesn't upload and it seems to just go back to the beginning of the option, i.e. the file I chose disappears from the option box, and there's no file nor picture in the white reply box. I've also tried deleting all cookies from my Mac, no success.

I'm giving up at this point unless one of the forum experts can point me in another direction. Hope all are enjoying their time on STJ, we really forgot how much we love it, will go back next year it seems for sure, for visit number 14 I think?? But first, we've got two surf trips to do early 2018.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

surfnh wrote: This is crazy, I'm a flippin engineer! :)
as a Ops guy I have soooo many comments :lol: :twisted: