been a while!

Travel discussion for St. John
surfnh

been a while!

Post by surfnh »

Hey folks, long time no see, we haven't been back to STJ since 2012 I believe? We've been really concentrating on crazy surf destinations until we get too old to surf, have found a number of new favorite places to go that we love. But now our youngest son finished his masters, no more payments, and we all decided to hit STJ again for old times sake.

So we're heading back to Ixora up on Ajax.....no A/C, this is the latest in the season we've ever rented there, but the breezes are good up high and we're hopeful we don't roast.

Haven't been on the forum in quite a while also, kinda cool to recognize old names still around. A couple questions for the forum....

What's the taxi rate these days from STT to Red Hook?

We'll hit Rhumblines the first night when we do our big grocery shop, but the rest of the time will be mostly spend evenings in Coral Bay. I understand the old places Skinny Legs and Aqua Bistro still there...anything new there to recommend for dinner?

thanks ahead!
Suziekue

Re: been a while!

Post by Suziekue »

When are you going? Much has changed & frequently but all still the best in my mind. I tend to hang out on the Coral Bay side, Skinny's, indigo Grill, Aqua Bistro, Pickles, Oasis, Shipwreck, please help me add to this forumite's.
Soarin' with the eagles all week long, and this is all that we've learned about living - VACATION!

mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Well, sadly, Vie's has closed, but there's a bbq option further down the road on Sundays. Haven't been there personally, but heard great things. Also, Angel's Rest floating bar is cruising around out on Hansen, as well.
My fave is still Aqua Bistro. Shipwreck is still wonderful, and Oasis has great food,too.
Have fun!
Smiles -
MJ
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Indigo Grill in Coral Bay at the old Donkey Diner location. Fantastic - particularly for take out pizza to enjoy "back home" at the villa. I believe that they are closed on Saturdays.
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

thanks all!

how much are the taxi's going for these days from STT to Red Hook?
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

oh forget to mention, we're arriving tomorrow!! :D
BAILEYBAY

Post by BAILEYBAY »

Taxi from the airport to Redhook was $30 for the 2 of us plus $2 per bag.
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

great thanks!
54b

Post by 54b »

Adding to the above...

Miss Lucy's still serves a mean Grouper Reuben and has Sunday brunch and full moon parties.

Unfortunately, Tourist Trap is no more and neither is Sweet Plantains. Where Sweet Plantains used to be is a place called Skipper Britts...don't know much about it other than I hear Augie from this forum host trivia on like Thursday nights. More about Skippers here:

http://newsofstjohn.com/2016/09/09/swee ... -brit-pub/

Caribbean Oasis, mentioned above, is definitely getting popular for takeout (though you can dine there too) and you can see their menu posted daily here:

https://www.facebook.com/coralbayoasis/

Also near Oasis is a food truck called the Triple B that is supposed to be really good for breakfast and also serves lunch.

Other than Concordia and maybe Pink Ekeate, I think every other dining option in Coral has been mentioned. I think you're up to date.

Concur on the pizza at Indigo Grill, very good.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Have a great trip! Leaving tomorrow which is TODAY :D sounds like so much fun. I am not much help with Coral Bay restaurants. We were on island in March and when in Coral Bay we just stuck to the oldies but goodies, Miss Lucy's and Shipwrecks.
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

Thanks all. Left the house at 3:30am, arrived at Ixora at 4:00pm. Quick dip in Trunk, dinner at Rhumblines, and we're trying these frozen painkillers at Longboard that we've read so much about. Pretty awesome.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Sounds like your livin da life!
Hope your had a great Memorial Day.
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

so far so good.....initial impressions:

Rhumblines still great, had amazing meal there arrival evening.
We snorkeled Waterlemon 1st day, reef was in better shape than we expected considering it was going down hill five years ago. Not tons of interesting fish though, and no starfish on the west side of the cay.
Snorkeled Yawzi 2nd day....love that snorkel, but lack of sea life this time. In the past we've nailed amazing stuff there like spotted eagle rays 2 feet from my camera. Nothing close to that this time.
Snorkeled the reef in the center of Salt Pond Bay today, one of my favorites because that reef is in great shape, as few go there due to the difficulty. That reef is just awesome, still love it, got great pics.
We got three pizzas for the gang from Indigo Grill last night.....ahh, it's tough. Not great, but pizza in Caribbean can't be easily compared to home. If that were home, we'd never go back (per my frau). But desperation pizza in Caribbean, yeah I'd do it again if I need an easy meal. By the way, three pizzas with one topping each, $88. :)
The island looks great....honestly, we were in Bali about 9 months ago and the sheer beauty of STJ compares really well with world heritage sites of incredible rice paddies in Bali. It was an eye opener for us after not being here for five years.
Regarding our villa, Ixora, the owner has put a lot of money into this place for sure. All new windows throughout, new kitchen and furniture, many things cleaned up. We've always loved this place due to location and view. But, we've been in Barbados four times in the past two years, always in a place with A/C. We've really grown to love the A/C, it keeps everything inside dry, plus much nicer to sleep. My frau is telling me next time in STJ we have to do a new villa with A/C, we shall see.

More feedback to come later.....tomorrow Denis Bay for the morning, kids want to rent kayaks at Cinnamon tomorrow afternoon.....then we'll hit Mongoose for shopping and dinner maybe at Longboard.

Cheers.....
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you are off to a great start. In March we rented kayaks at Cinnamon. We had a great time and made it out to Wisteling Cay. We had the Cay to ourselves for about an hour. If you get an itch for pizza again you should give Ronnie's Pizza a try. It is near the Dolphin Market and we really like the pizza. If you have the time on island reports are the best.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Thank you for the real time report, surfnh. This year is the first in 15 years that we won't be on St. John in May/June, which hasn't been easier to deal with than I had hoped. My inner clock is telling me to be on island but I am not.

Wishing you all a wonderful time on St. John. Hope you will get a lot of snorkeling in. Please post some photos when you get back. :)