Golf carts?

Travel discussion for St. John
awardb

Golf carts?

Post by awardb »

I just read on another forum that, after parking at Caneel, they're offering $5 golf cart rides to Honeymoon Beach? Can anyone verify that?
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
hoosierdaddy

Re: Golf carts?

Post by hoosierdaddy »

We were there in March and it was up and running. We still walked in with our chairs and cooler and towels and bags. Maybe we should have spent the $5?
RicksFormula

Post by RicksFormula »

it may be for the increased cruise ship groups they are allowing at Honeymoon? We were there in April and had a nice spot with some room to spare in the middle of Honeymoon and around 11:00am they arrived and it looked like a Florida beach for about 3 hours with lounge chairs lined up all along the beach.
awardb

Post by awardb »

Maybe we should check the cruise ship schedule before we go to Honeymoon, same as we do for Trunk Bay. Good to know....
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
ColoradoMom

Post by ColoradoMom »

We walked to Honeymoon and then used the golf cart ride on the way back. We were tired!!!
It's $5 per person and was totally worth it!

Of note: an older gentleman off a snorkel boat was drifting and raising his arm, yelling, "hey!!!". We would have raced to him immediately if he'd raised both arms and yelled help, we weren't really sure if he was just calling to a friend perhaps, but we still swam out to him and sure enough he needed rescuing. Beach employees arrived and towed him to shore by boat. Someone mentioned that 5 people have drowned at Honeymoon this year!
The snorkelers all have snorkel vests on, but they are the type you must self-inflate. I can only imagine that is pretty difficult to do if you are already panicking!

So if someone feels like they need a vest, perhaps a pool noodle would be better. Pass the word and be careful people :)
GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

We used it. There were three of us, the guy validated our parking even though it was only $15, not $20 - but then we paid another $15 to ride back. On a hot day with a bad knee, it was worth it.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

kklay

Post by kklay »

I love Honeymoon beach and I used to enjoy the walk but with the ruts, rocks, etc. it is too hard on my knees and my husband has some heart issues so the golf cart is so nice and enables us to get to my favorite beach! We have one couple who will be with us on STJ this Fall and they haven't been there before (their last visit was I think November of 2003) so I know they will see some changes on the island but are so looking forward to the trip!