New sunscreen info film

Travel discussion for St. John
iheartsj

New sunscreen info film

Post by iheartsj »

This was filmed in Hawaii but applies to St. John.
The best sunscreen is shade and cover ups. Please check the ingredients on the labels. Some of the "Reef Safe" products contain oxybenzone. And spray on is the absolutely WORST.

https://www.facebook.com/thecoverupfilm ... 153272943/
awardb

Re: New sunscreen info film

Post by awardb »

While spray-on is bad, and the other chemicals in most over-the-counter sunscreens are suspect, I'm a pragmatist at heart. So, since many, many people are going to buy name-brand sunscreens and go to the beach and snorkel, I have found at least 2 name-brand sunscreens, one spray-on, one lotion that do NOT contain oxybenzone. So if someone's gonna use the stuff they buy in the drug store or at Amazon, they could at least buy sunscreen without oxybenzone. Small steps for now are better than no steps.

Hawaiian Tropic Island Sport spray
Hawaiian Tropic Sheer Touch lotion

Both are fairly highly rated by Consumer Reports.

I have nothing whatsoever to do with the Sunscreen industry, I'm just a long-time yearly STJ visitor that realizes that many people won't go to the trouble of researching and ordering special sunscreens that are better for them and for the reef environment. Since they're going to use sunscreen anyway, maybe a small step would be to get them to use a widely available sunscreen that doesn't contain oxybenzone.

My 2 cents worth, anyway.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
klikesfins

Post by klikesfins »

We leave for St. John on Thursday and you have me searching in my packed bag to check my sun screen. Unless the oxybenzone has different names, my "NO-AD" sunscreen does not have that ingredient listed on the label. We understand the importance of protecting the reefs. But no sunscreen isn't going to happen in my fair skinned family. Thanks for keeping us informed!
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

This is one of many issues affecting coral reef health. As a dive instructor I have seen damage up close and also seen a reef regenerate. Every little step helps. Once the reefs are gone, the balance of life in the seas changes. Not a good future.
awardb

Post by awardb »

Looking at this year's Consumer Reports sunscreen tests, both No-Ad products they tested contain oxybenzone. HOWEVER, I'm sure No-Ad makes many versions of it's products, and I would let the label be your guide. That should always tell you the truth of what's in there.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll