Cruz Bay Skyline changing

Travel discussion for St. John
Exit Zero

Cruz Bay Skyline changing

Post by Exit Zero »

A 200-300 room hotel is being planned and clearing the property has started.
Interesting pictures here:

https://www.stjohnnewspapermon.com/
on 7/13 in archives
mizarumonkey

Re: Cruz Bay Skyline changing

Post by mizarumonkey »

Sirenusa #2!!

Just like Sirenusa was - this property is zoned R-2, light residential. Hotels are not allowed in R-2.

I urge anyone concerned about the Cruz Bay "skyline" to call DPNR on St. Thomas to complain. Yes, they have a permit posted - but it's for a "mobile home". 340-774-3320.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

mizarumonkey wrote:Sirenusa #2!!

I urge anyone concerned about the Cruz Bay "skyline" to call DPNR on St. Thomas to complain. 340-774-3320.
Excellent advice.
Pia

Post by Pia »

I heard 2 years ago this was happening and that they also plan to tear down the Lumberyard as part of the hotel - that however has not been disclosed but with the new owners and the reported rent increases at the Lumberyard I wouldn't doubt it

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Coral Bay development and now this...so glad I lived on island before all the build up and the huge influx of cruisers from St Thomas. Now it is becoming another St Thomas....sad
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

[quote="equineannie"]Coral Bay development and now this...so glad I lived on island before all the build up and the huge influx of cruisers from St Thomas. Now it is becoming another St Thomas....sad[/quote

It is certainly not "cruisers from STT" that have caused the mega changes on STJ but the proliferation of villa construction and change in demographics of rental short term visitors.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Ugh. Reading the OP felt like a punch in the stomach.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Exit Zero wrote: It is certainly not "cruisers from STT" that have caused the mega changes on STJ but the proliferation of villa construction and change in demographics of rental short term visitors.
so true :(
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

"It is certainly not "cruisers from STT" that have caused the mega changes on STJ but the proliferation of villa construction and change in demographics of rental short term visitors."

It's commercial villa businesses being built in R-1 Residential areas. These villas are not homes but businesses. Each time a parcel goes up for sale in our neighborhood, we pray that it will be bought by someone who wants to build a family home and not some gigantic party villa with loud music and exuberant shouting til 3 am.

Also many residents are being evicted from their long term (many years) rentals so the owner can convert to short term rental. If you live here it has become difficult to find a long term rental.

If a 200 room hotel is being built, Cruz Bay is a better location than residential neighborhoods.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

The next round of published information:

http://stthomassource.com/content/2017/ ... -cruz-bay/