Barge Schedules

Travel discussion for St. John
iheartsj

Barge Schedules

Post by iheartsj »

We get a lot of questions from people about how many car barges will be running on a particular day in the future. There is no way to predict how many barges or the wait time. In a single day it can vary from 15 minutes to 3 hours.
Here is a copy of a post from a St John local from yesterday.

" flew from MIA to STT in less time than it took us to get from the main road to the barge parking lot. If I hadn't picked him up at the airport, we'd have been home two - three hours sooner! We finally reached STJ around 8:00."

The barges are unpredictable. There is so many large trucks, containers, modular classrooms, etc going to and from St. John these days. My personal wait has ranged from 1-3 hours.

Please rent your vehicle on St. John and avoid the chaos of barge travel. Locals have no choice but if you are on vacation, take the the people ferry and enjoy your vacation.

Check out the FB page "St. John Car Barge Schedule" for more info.
sherban

Re: Barge Schedules

Post by sherban »

We rented a jeep on STT in June and found that the barges are slower than pre storms as well! We waited for the car barge over an hour going both ways...
For now, I would agree that renting on STJ will be a better travel scenario....and if you do decide to rent on STT and Barge over to STJ, call ahead a few days in advance if possible and reserve a ticket on the barge you want...
Cheers!
hoosierdaddy

Re: Barge Schedules

Post by hoosierdaddy »

We had traditionally rented our cars in St. Thomas but as the barges seemed to become more and more unreliable we started renting on St. John. Since renting on St. John we have not missed a beat and have less to worry about. In hind sight I wish we would have rent on St. John from the beginning.