Coming Back after almost 10 years

Travel discussion for St. John
hartpump

Coming Back after almost 10 years

Post by hartpump »

My wife and I took our honeymoon to this magical place and immediately fell in love with its beauty, serenity and laid back vibe. We vowed on that trip not only to love each other for better or worse but to make it a point to come back at least every four years. We did pretty good with that promise to ourselves but alas as I mentioned in the title of this post it has now been almost ten years since we have been on the rock.
This time will be extra special in a number of ways. We are finally bringing the kids and grandparents (and my first grand baby) We have been a little selfish in not sharing our special place with our kids and parents :P
Finally having the opportunity to share this piece of paradise with them means so much to my wife and me.
Sadly, my father in law passed away suddenly 3 weeks ago. I loved him like my own father. He was so looking forward to this trip, and one of the last things he said before he died was that he was so sorry he wouldn't be going to St John. I know he would want me to make sure that his wife and grand kids and great granddaughter have the time of their lives when we go.
Sorry this got a little more emotional than i had intended.
I started writing this because my wife and I have always been Coral Bay people, (no offense to the Cruz Bay Fans) and this time we are staying over in Klein Bay. So I need advice of any and all kinds about staying on that side of the island.
I am grateful for any advice.

Many Thanks in Advance
To a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail
RickG

Re: Coming Back after almost 10 years

Post by RickG »

hartpump, I get how you feel. I started visiting the Virgins and St. John solo before bringing the family. My Father loved St John, the warm waters, the easy entry from the beach, and being able to use his cane in the water as he got older. I'm sorry your Father in law did not get to visit. My Father's final visit was when we sprinkled some of his ashes on one of his favorite beaches.

Klein Bay looks south over more than 100 miles towards Saba and the down islands. There is less light pollution and the Milky Way is prominent at night. It is a wonderful setting. The beaches are rocky and, unless you have remarkably calm water, murky and not worth swimming. Ditleff Point is a better option and Reef Bay is fun and a great stroll. Check the beach descriptions in Gerald Singer's books or http://seestjohn.com/st-john-virgin-islands-beaches/

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI