Duty free allowance for liquor

Travel discussion for St. John
sunlover

Post by sunlover »

This is my first post on the new forum.... so here goes...

Anyone know what the duty free allowance is for liquor? For some reason, I'm thinking it was 6 bottles, but I wasn't sure if that was per person or per household... 8)
Jan N.

Post by Jan N. »

It is 6 bottles if one is produced locally, as in Cruzan Rum. Otherwise it is 5 bottles, per person.
Jan N.
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

But when you say bottles they are refering to fifths. The allowance is one gallon and you are allowed one extra fifth if manufactured in the VI.

RL 8)
promoguy

It's Actually More Than a Gallon

Post by promoguy »

Just took a look at one of my bottle of Cruzan Rum and they are all 1 liter. One liter is .26 gallon which means they actually allow you 1.56 gallon, if my math and conversion is correct!!
bobcside

Liquor Allowance

Post by bobcside »

We always take 6 bottles each including at least one local rum each. Have been inspected several times, never a problem. Most of the bottles we have taken are 1 liter. Last year we went to AH Rise and lady there told us only 5 bottles with one of them being local. She was wrong.
BOB
Eric in NJ

What a fifth is

Post by Eric in NJ »

A fifth is a bottle that contains .750 ltrs The old fifth was a fifth of a quart short. They don't use quarts anymore so the .750 is what is used now for the short liter bottle
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
NYBB

Post by NYBB »

FYI - If you're connecting through San Juan, there is NO LIMIT, at least not going on to JFK. We always grab all we can carry, usually 10-12 bottles each.
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

A gallon is a gallon no matter which way you look at it. The law says you are allowed a gallon duty free. They have also allowed you one fifth of a gallon tax free as long as it's made in the USVI. You can take two half gallons if you wish. If by chance you took 5 liters, which most people like Allan buy, consider yourself lucky that it was treated as a fifth since it is more.
No matter which way you travel, or to what state you travel, it's still a gallon. Going through Puerto Rico does not change anything. You may have gotten lucky carrying 12, but the law has not changed. But NYBB if you are buying Duty Free in Puerto Rico that's another story. This discussion is about returning from the Virgin Islands. Are the Duty Free prices in the Puerto Rico airport less than ST. Thomas? I think not.

RL 8)
NYBB

Post by NYBB »

Hey Ron. Read carefully and you will see the key word in my post was "connecting" - as in if you are "connecting" through San Juan- We have traveled every year from the VI for 14 years, CONNECTING through San Juan, as many flights do. The duty free prices are excellent and as I stated before, there is NO LIMIT. Just trying to get some info out there. No need to be snippy!!!! Chill and have a nice VI day.
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Actually a gallon is a gallon really doesn't apply here. 6 x .750l with the conversion is 1.1889 gal.

In any case, I have always brought back 1 liter bottles and 6 of them per person.

In fact as I think about it, the major retailers like Riese (sp) I'm not sure sell "fifths".
RonUSVI wrote:A gallon is a gallon no matter which way you look at it. The law says you are allowed a gallon duty free. They have also allowed you one fifth of a gallon tax free as long as it's made in the USVI. You can take two half gallons if you wish. If by chance you took 5 liters, which most people like Allan buy, consider yourself lucky that it was treated as a fifth since it is more.
No matter which way you travel, or to what state you travel, it's still a gallon. Going through Puerto Rico does not change anything. You may have gotten lucky carrying 12, but the law has not changed. But NYBB if you are buying Duty Free in Puerto Rico that's another story. This discussion is about returning from the Virgin Islands. Are the Duty Free prices in the Puerto Rico airport less than ST. Thomas? I think not.

RL 8)
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

Sorry NYBB if you thought I was snippy. I did say if you were buying at Duty Free in Puerto Rico, that's another story. Maybe you missed that. :)
Now, wonder what's going to happen with the Duty Free purchases since you can't carry any liquids on board. I know the stores here in STT are packaging the bottles better for to be checked luggage. 8)
RL 8)
onislandtime

Post by onislandtime »

I don't think I'd spend a whole lot of time worrying about (or in debate over) this :roll: a couple of years ago we brought back 18 bottels and the Duty was only $11.75...not a bunch of $$$$