STJ spoils you

Travel discussion for St. John
Randy in MD

Spoiled and Loving It

Post by Randy in MD »

There are so many beautiful places in the world, and comparing them is like apples and oranges sometimes. I used to think the California coast was the most beautiful place I'd ever been, then it was the Grand Tetons, Ocracoke Island, the Great Pacific Northwest and even my own backyard on the Chesapeake Bay. They're all amazing in my mind. So why am I so obsessed with St. John? It's more than the beauty; it's the feeling that I get when the ferry comes into the harbor and I see the familiar waterfront, hear the music from the Beach Bar, and smell the aroma from Uncle Joe's. It's driving on the left with the windows down. It's the elation I feel when I get back in the water with my fins and snorkel and see those gorgeous fish again. It's the smile I wear the entire time I'm there and the same smile I'm wearing right now just contemplating my next visit. It just feels so good...
Bluwater

Maine in the Fall!

Post by Bluwater »

Please add me to the list of Maine lovers on this forum!

Sebago Lake
Mt Dezert Island
Camden

All my favorites! We camp every fall. We'll miss this year because we'll be in the VI. And, I can say that I WILL miss Maine.

Big pots on the campfire with fresh lobsters in them or a grilled lobster. ImageMmmmmm. Best to clean up well before the racoons come in the middle of the night!! Leanred that the hard way
Bluwater
pswlrw

St John Spoils You - out of the mouths of babes

Post by pswlrw »

My 15 year old daughter just got back from a cruise to Bermuda. When I asked her how she liked Bermuda, she said "It was nice, but I don't think anything can compare with St. John. There's just something about it ..."
Paula

Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

We travel all over NE. We go to our family camp in Maine on a beautiful lake, we visit my oldest friend on Hog Island, RI, and we camp in the Berkshires every year. We were on the Cape last year too.
They are beautiful in their own way and for different reasons but nothing compares to the blue water of STJ.
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

I think most people love Maine....... Try it mid- February!!!!! :?
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Fried clams (with bellies, not strips!)
Maine lobster
Fresh corn on the cub
Fresh tomatoes
Fresh blueberries

You guys are killing me here!!! Please don't start talking about fresh peaches now....Or steamers.

For LysaC- Yes, people sit on their deck eating lobster if they know someone who will catch them for them. They rarely are for sale because the commercial lobster guys can barely keep up with the restaurant demand. You don't just run out to the Super Stop & Shop!

-Ruth from Exeter, New Hampshire
Currently on St. John

jmq wrote: fried clams at Bobs Clam Hut on Rt. 1 in Kittery on the way in or out of Maine.

http://www.bobsclamhut.com/index.htm

Also, one of the Top 3 meals of all time I’ve had was one of the simplest, on the deck of cousins Maine coast house.
After watching the lobster boats come in, we rode bikes over to the local lobster co-op, picked out the ones we wanted just off the boat, brought em back, cooked em up simple Maine style, lemon butter for dipping, and had them with sides of Maine sweet corn from local farm market and Jersey tomatoes I had brought with me from my garden at home, plus nice bottles of cold white wine, finished off with Maine blueberries and fresh whipped cream. Awesome.
JMQ
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Ruth! You ARE NOT from Exeter!??? I live in Plaistow right now. Crikey....what a small world!

Anything you want us to bring down for you in December? I'll chuck out my frozen steaks and bring down a cooler full of snow for you. Howz that? Haha.

Well, now that I know about the lobster thing, I'll make sure and grab one next time I'm snorkeling. They have tiny claws vs the Maine lobstah. No problem!
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Oh and by the way, to add insult to injury, I had fried clams and a fresh lobster roll at the Clam Box in Ipswich recently :D .

Expensive? Yah, like St-John-expensive :shock: ! But totally worth it! Best clams I've ever had!